2023 Vital Strategies Healthy Food Policy Fellowship (Fully Funded)
Deadline: November 14, 2022.
The Vital Strategies Healthy Food Policy Fellowship is a groundbreaking initiative to combat a critical barrier to addressing global obesity—a dearth of research expertise to guide national policies. The fellowship, funded by Bloomberg Philanthropies, empowers future leaders to build research capacity and develop a multidisciplinary network in the food policy sector. Outstanding candidates are awarded full scholarship and mentorship support to earn a Ph.D. degree from a top-ranking graduate program.
The Healthy Food Policy Fellowship program is open to candidates who meet the following selection criteria:
- Reside in one of the focus countries: Barbados, Brazil, Colombia, Jamaica, Mexico, South Africa. (“Reside” includes people who are non-citizens of a country and who have long-term residency in that country.)
- Demonstrate a commitment to improving public policy for a healthier food environment in their country of residence.
- In the process of applying, or already accepted, to a Ph.D. for the upcoming semester in a field that will allow them to contribute to healthier food environments through public policy—health economics, nutrition epidemiology, marketing, health behavior, etc.—from a university that meets the desired combination of theoretical coursework and practical, field-based research.
- Have a background in healthy food policy or experience in one of the aforementioned academic areas of interest.
- Have no conflict of interest, including no affiliation with sugary drinks, ultra-processed foods or tobacco industry.
The fellowship will cover tuition, living expenses (only rent, local public transport and utilities), health insurance (in most cases it should be the plan recommended by school, and is limited only to the fellow, and not dependents), travel and one-time costs such as a laptop, software and books.
Step 1: Check if you meet the selection criteria.
Step 3: Request two referees to submit letters of recommendation in English to [email protected] with the subject “Recommendation Letter_Applicant name_Country of residence”. The letters must be submitted directly by the referees before the application deadline. The referees should be very familiar with the candidate’s work and professional experience, and/or might be the candidate’s current or potential mentor.
Step 4: Submit your completed and signed application form along with curriculum vitae in English to [email protected] by no later than midnight (New York time) November 14, 2022. Your curriculum vitae must mention your academic background, research/work experience, publications, and academic presentations.