2023 United States Institute of Peace (USIP) Peace Scholar Fellowship
Deadline: October 6, 2022.
USIP’s Peace Scholar Fellowship program awards non-residential fellowships to PhD candidates enrolled in U.S. universities who are writing doctoral dissertations on topics broadly related to conflict management, peacebuilding and relevant security studies. Since 1988, the program has supported the dissertations of 371 young scholars, many of whom have gone on to distinguished careers in research, higher education, and policy making.
This program partners with the Minerva Research Initiative to support additional fellowships relating to topics on peace and security studies. Currently, the program awards up to 18 scholarships per year, and awards support both research and writing stages of work on dissertations.
- USIP seeks applications from Ph.D. candidates with high-quality, policy relevant research that will deepen understanding about conflict management, peacebuilding and other applicable security-related studies. USIP strongly prefers applications closely related to the USIP Issue Areas and/or research priorities of the Minerva Research Initiative.
- Special consideration will be given to proposed research in the following areas*
- Strategic rivalry
- Violence and extremism in fragile states
- Global shocks
- American peacebuilding
- USIP funds up to 18 Peace Scholars for a 10-month, non-residential fellowship. Peace Scholars receive stipends of up to $20,000 for the academic year, paid directly to the individual in three tranches. Peace Scholar awards may not be deferred.
- Peace Scholars are required to participate in an annual workshop. When their dissertation is completed and approved by their committee, the Peace Scholar is required to submit a copy to USIP at [email protected].
Applying for the Peace Scholar Fellowship competition is a two-step process.
- REGISTRATION: All applicants must register for this competition even if you have registered previously for another USIP competition. Register for an account here.
- APPLICATION: After completing the registration, applicants must prepare and submit a complete application. Further instructions on completing the application are included in USIP’s online application system FLUXX. USIP does not provide status updates on submitted applications at any time.