2023 UNESCO-Al Fozan International Prize for the Promotion of Young Scientists in STEM
Deadline: November 15, 2022.
The UNESCO-Al Fozan International Prize for the Promotion of Young Scientists in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) was created to encourage young people to undertake scientific careers and make their work more visible to the community and society. This is the first edition of the Prize, which recognizes the achievements of young people that are conducive to socio-economic transformation and development on a global scale while also increasing the interest of young people, particularly girls and women, in science so as to promote gender equality, scientific literacy and the choice of a scientific career.
The Prize is awarded to candidates for their significant achievement/contribution to:
- Research in the STEM including the emerging technologies.
- STEM education, dissemination of research findings, as well as creativity and innovation.
- International or regional cooperation in STEM.
- Candidates must be less than 40 years old at the time of the application deadline.
- Candidatures of young women scientists are encouraged.
The nominations can be submitted by the following entities:
- Governments of Member States, in consultation with their National Commissions
- Non-governmental organizations maintaining official partnerships with UNESCO and active in relevant fields covered by the Prize
- UNESCO Chairs
- Category 2 Centres
- International scientific unions
Each of the five laureates will receive an award of 50,000 USD to further their contribution to the advancement of STEM research at a ceremony to be held in March 2023.
Each nomination shall be accompanied by a written recommendation, which shall include:
- a description of the candidate’s background and achievements
- a summary of the work, publications and other supporting documents of major importance, submitted for consideration
- a description of the candidate’s contribution to the Prize’s objectives.
- No self-nomination shall be considered.