2023 South African Astronomical observatory (SAAO) Scholarship Programme (Fully Funded)
Deadline: July 31, 2023.
The South African Astronomical observatory (SAAO) will award an MSc and PhD scholarship, for degrees starting in 2024, to outstanding candidates. The funding amount will be R180,000 per year at MSc level, and R190,000 per year at PhD level. In addition to this stipend, tuition fees will be covered, generous support for travel and equipment will be provided and options for on-site accommodation can be explored.
- The SALT-SAAO scholarships are open to candidates of any nationality, but preference will be given to South African citizens and permanent residents.
- Applicants must be eligible to register for an MSc/PhD degree in astrophysics at a South African university at the start of the 2024 academic year.
- Ideal candidates will have a background in astrophysics.
- The funding amount will be R180,000 per year at MSc level, and R190,000 per year at PhD level.
- In addition to this stipend, tuition fees will be covered, generous support for travel and equipment will be provided and options for on-site accommodation can be explored.
- Applicants must apply for a particular astronomical project offered at the SAAO, and discuss their application with the relevant supervisor before applying.
- Successful applicants must be ready to start their degree at the beginning of the 2024 academic year. For an MSc scholarship this means that a BSc Honours (or equivalent) degree must be completed. In the case of a PhD scholarship, an MSc degree must be completed, or approval to upgrade to a PhD granted.
- At most two scholarships at either level will be awarded each year. SAAO reserves the right not to make an award.
- Funding is limited to 2 years for an MSc and 3 years for a PhD. The degree must be completed in this time.
- Funding is contingent on proof of registration from the university agreed upon with the supervisor, and signing of the SAAO student memorandum of understanding (MoU). The student will be expected to abide by this MoU, the regulations of their host university, and the SAAO code of conduct.
- An annual progress report should be submitted, and the student should participate in the Postgraduate Advisory Committee process put in place by the SAAO to ensure that sufficient progress is made each year.
- Holders of these scholarships must spend a minimum of 60% of their time at SAAO and will be required to visit their host university at least once a year.
- Short listed applicants will be interviewed during August or September, and an offer will be made to the successful candidate by the end of September 2023.
- Please contact [email protected] if you have any general questions about the scholarship.