2023 Solutions Journalism Network Journalists of Color Fellowship for U.S. based Journalists
Deadline: July 17, 2023.
The Solutions Journalism Network invites you to apply for its Journalists of Color Fellowship. This 9-month fellowship is designed to identify and support a cohort of diverse, next-generation leaders through a program of solutions journalism, leadership training, mentorship and community of practice. Fellows will leave the program with a clear understanding of core leadership principles and learn how to spearhead coverage that responds to the most pressing social issues of our time. In addition, fellows will work in a community of peers and gain knowledge from leaders of color working in newsrooms across the U.S. The fellowship was created with the intention to support more BIPOC journalists into newsroom leadership positions, where diversity and inclusion is critical to news coverage and the media industry as a whole.
- Ten mid-career U.S. based journalists who are interested in editorial management.
- This is specifically designed to support journalists of color, with at least 5 years of experience, who want to move into their first journalism leadership role.
- A role where they will manage people, lead projects and have direct responsibility to determine news coverage at their organization. Consideration will be given to applicants in the first year of their first media leadership role.
- Fellowship stipend $6,500
- Solutions Journalism Training
- Leadership Training
- Community conversations & mentorship
- Webinars and Coaching
- Monthly one-on-one video calls with fellowship manager or network mentors
- Monthly fellowship meetings
- Trainings, Webinars and Workshops
- Completing SJN’s “Train-The-Trainers” curriculum resulting in their accreditation as solutions journalism trainers