2023 Obama Foundation’s My Brother’s Keeper Alliance Freedom Summer Grant
Deadline: May 8, 2023.
Freedom Summer 2023 is an initiative of the Obama Foundation’s My Brother’s Keeper Alliance. The $1 million grant program aims to support local organizations that are working to reduce violence in Chicago communities this summer by creating and expanding spaces and programming where boys and young men of color can safely learn, play, and engage.
The MBK Alliance knows the efforts of community organizations throughout the City of Chicago are often stifled due to limited financial resources. Their hope is that their investment, coupled with the dedicated effort of those individuals hosting summer programs, serves as the seed from which our young boys will grow and evolve into passionate, driven, and successful men
- Eligible Freedom Summer applicants must be a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization or a sponsored project of a 501(c)(3) fiscal sponsor with a valid sponsorship agreement in place.
- The MBK Alliance is looking to support projects that will have a potentially lifesaving impact on boys and young men of color this summer.
Each Freedom Summer awardee will receive a $30,000 grant.
To apply for the grant, eligible organizations must provide:
- Proof of 501(c)(3) status or partnership agreement
- A short narrative describing the proposed project that meets the mission of Freedom Summer
- An explanation of how the project will impact the lives of boys and young men of color and how the organization will measure success
- A signed letter of support (from CEO or Senior Executive) that details an overview of the programming that the funds will cover and describes any relationships or partnerships that will support the effort
- A simple budget indicating expected expenses
- Age group to be supported by the application
- The neighborhood or community the project will serve