2023 Mastercard Foundation Scholar Program at University of Cape Town for Young Africans
Deadline: September 25, 2022.
Do you have what it takes to be a Mastercard Foundation Scholar? The University of Cape Town is looking for the next generation of leaders to join this unique scholarship program. Until 2024, over 400 African students will be awarded full scholarships to UCT as part of the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program.
The Mastercard Foundation has partnered with the University of Cape Town (UCT) to oversee the implementation of financial, academic, social and post-graduation support to awarded candidates under the scholarship titled The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at the University of Cape Town. The vision of the Program is to transition promising young people from beneficiaries to benefactors, preparing them with the necessary values, knowledge, skills, and leadership to fuel economic and social progress across Africa. The Program targets academically qualified undergraduate and postgraduate candidates who are economically disadvantaged young people with leadership potential from Africa.
In 2023 65 scholarship opportunities (10 Honours and 55 Masters) are available for students who intend to commence with their first year of registration for full- time postgraduate Honours and Masters studies.
To be eligible for consideration for The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at the University of Cape
Town, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be a citizen of an African country
- Be admitted to a Postgraduate Honours and Masters programme and preparing to commence with
their first year of registration in the Engineering and the Built Environment, Commerce, Health
Sciences, Humanities, Law, or Sciences faculties at UCT.
- Be from an economically disadvantaged background, demonstrate financial need, and leadership
- Applicants who intend to register for a second Honours and Masters postgraduate degree at the
same level are ineligible to apply for this scholarship.
- Applicants who have previously registered for an Honours and Masters postgraduate degree
at the same level at any higher learning institution are ineligible to apply for this scholarship.
The scholarships will cover for the following:
- Reimbursement of costs incurred for visa application processing
- An economy class air ticket to Cape Town South Africa for awardees who are i) citizens and/or
residents of an African country other than South Africa or ii) residing in South Africa but outside of
- Full tuition fees and international student fees.
- Accommodation in a student residence managed by the UCT Student Housing Admissions and
Advocacy Services at UCT.
- Meals through the student housing system at UCT.
- Medical cover with a recommended medical aid service provider.
- A living stipend; to be used to cover ad hoc expenses pertaining to awardees’ studies.
- A book allowance to purchase the prescribed textbooks required for the degree programme.
- Costs related to community activities as prescribed by The Mastercard Foundation Scholars
Program at the University of Cape Town.
- Access to an internship opportunity, career development and job placement assistance.
- An economy class air ticket home upon completion of studies, for awardees who are i) citizens of
and/or residents of an African country other than South Africa or ii) residing in South Africa but
outside of Cape Town.
- In order to apply for The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program, applicants must first apply to the University of Cape Town for academic study and placement.
- Only applicants, who have applied for academic study and placement to UCT, can submit an application for a Mastercard Foundation scholarship.
- The admission requirements for postgraduate study vary from one programme to another.
- Consult the faculty concerned directly in order to find out what is required for the course or degree that you want to take.