2023 EUI Fernand Braudel Senior Fellowships (Stipend Available)
Deadline: March 30, 2023.
Fernand Braudel Senior Fellowships provide a framework for established academics with an international reputation to pursue their research at the EUI.
Fellowships last for up to ten months in one of the EUI’s four Departments which in turn invite fellows to participate in departmental activities (seminars, workshops, colloquia, etc.).
Fellows are encouraged to make contact with researchers sharing their academic interests, may be involved in the teaching and thesis supervision tasks of EUI professors, and associated with one of the research projects being carried out at the EUI.
The fellowships are open to established academics with an international reputation. Former professors or fellows of the EUI are eligible after three years have elapsed since their last contract with the EUI.
Candidates of all nationalities are eligible.
Fellows should have a good knowledge of English and of any other language relevant to their proposed research.
- Prepare your CV (a short CV of maximum 5 pages including education, professional experience, prizes and other major achievements) with a selected list of publications (a list of your books, contributions to books and major professional journals) in PDF
- Prepare a research proposal (2-4 pages) in PDF
Use standard international fonts and avoid macros, special characters and password-protected attachments.
The EUI does not request reference letters at this stage but candidates are asked to provide the names and contact details of two referees whom the EUI may contact at a later date.
There are two annual deadlines for applications
30 March (14:00 CEST) and/or 30 September (14:00 CEST)
- Department of Economics: considers applications for the 30 March and the 30 September deadline.
- Department of Law: considers applications only for the 30 March deadline for fellowships during the following academic year (September to June). While longer stays than 3 months are welcomed, the department normally funds fellows only for one/two months, but provides office space and full library privileges for the entire duration of stay.
- Department of History and Civilisation: considers applications only for the 30 September deadline for fellowships during the following academic year (September to June). While longer stays than 3 months are welcome, the department normally funds fellows only up to 3 months, but provides office space and full library privileges for the entire duration of stay.
- Department of Political and Social Sciences: considers applications only for the 30 September deadline for fellowships during the following academic year (September to June). While longer stays than 3 months are welcomed and desired, the department normally funds fellows only for 3 months, but provides office space and full library privileges for the entire duration of stay.
BENEFITS/ AWARD CONDITION
Duration and Residence
The fellowship lasts up to 10 months. Candidates must indicate their intended length of stay in the application but the hosting department may propose a different and/or shorter period to successful candidates subject to available funding. Fellowships are not normally awarded for the months of July and August.
Fellows must live in Florence for the duration of the fellowship so that they can take an active part in the academic activities of their Department.
Stipend and Taxation
The monthly stipend is € 3,000. The amount of the grant for successful applicants whose normal place of residence is within 90 km of Florence will be fixed at a lower rate.
The fellowships are not taxed by the Institute. Fellows are, however, required to comply with any tax provisions which may be applicable to them.
Fellows must have adequate medical insurance cover during their stay at the Institute. They can either provide proof of their own insurance scheme or subscribe to the EUI’s private sickness and health insurance scheme at their own expense. See the Cigna Insurance Scheme for conditions.
Travel and Removal/Installation Expenses
There is no provision for travel expenses.There is no provision for removal or installation expenses.