2023 EJN Google News Initiative Student Fellowship (Paid Opportunity)
Deadline: April 21, 2023.
The GNI Student Fellowship is a programme managed by the European Journalism Centre in partnership with the Google News Initiative. It is aimed at students and recent graduates who can apply to become Student Fellows at one of the participating newsrooms. Selected Student Fellows will work at one of the newsrooms for eight weeks during the summer of 2023 and will be compensated for their work.
The programme has been developed to support the next generation of media professionals in Europe and to drive innovation across the news industry. This is a unique opportunity that can help you to kick-start a career in the news industry.
Your application will only be processed if you meet all the criteria mentioned below:
- You are 18 years or older.
- You are enrolled in or recently graduated (in 2020, 2021 or 2022) from an accredited education programme. This includes:
- Master, Ph.D. or bachelor students/graduates
- Students/graduates pursuing or in possession of a technical certificate.
- Students/graduates pursuing or in possession of a professional certificate.
- Students/graduates of another accredited form of education in a relevant field, such as an apprenticeship or vocational training.
- You are from the country where the newsroom is based OR you are living and/or studying in the country where the newsroom is based. Students enrolled in Austria, Germany or Switzerland can apply for any of the newsrooms based in these three countries.
- You are legally allowed to work full-time in the country where the newsroom is based.
- Students enrolled in Austria and Germany can apply for any of the newsrooms based in these two countries.
- They accept international students as long as you are enrolled in a higher education institution based in the country of the newsroom you choose to apply for.
They accept both full-time and part-time students.
- By applying, you get the chance to become a Student Fellow in 2023! If you are selected, you will get the unique opportunity to learn what it is like to work for a European newsroom.
- Student Fellows are paid by their newsroom for eight weeks of full-time work. The minimum amount will be €2,500; the exact amount will be at the discretion of the newsroom.
- Student Fellows will attend useful workshops and enjoy network opportunities during the kick-off bootcamp. This bootcamp will prepare you to make the most out of your Fellowship.
- The European Journalism Centre will check in with all the Student Fellows during the Fellowship to provide them with guidance, training, and advice and touch base on progress and needs during the Fellowship.
The timeline of the 2023 GNI Student Fellowship is as follows:
- 22 March – 21 April: You can submit your application from Wednesday 22 March, 10:00 CET to Friday 21 April, 23:59 CET. Late submissions will not be accepted.
- May and June: Your application will be reviewed by the news organisation and diversity partner. You will hear whether or not your application has been successful by the end of June latest.
- July: Student Fellows will participate in an online bootcamp hosted by the EJC that will prepare them for their Fellowship.
- June to September: The Fellowships take place. The exact dates will be determined in consultation with the newsroom.
To apply follow the process:
- Read the details of the host media you would like to apply for thoroughly.
- Go through the application questions using the example application form
- Prepare your CV, work samples, references and motivation
- Login or create a new account
- Start the application process by clicking the apply button and follow the application wizard.