2023 EITM Summer Institute at Princeton University (Fully Funded)
Deadline: February 28, 2023.
Funded by the National Science Foundation (NSF), this program trains graduate students and junior faculty in EITM, a research strategy that integrates theoretical models and empirical research to improve and expand our understanding of politics. The institute will integrate developments and findings from throughout political science, including the substantive areas of American politics, comparative politics, international relations, and political economy.
The primary benefits of EITM for student participants are:
- Instruction by leading scholars in the discipline on cutting edge methods
- Deeper understanding of philosophical and epistemological considerations in theory building and evaluation
- Support and feedback on students’ own research by EITM faculty and participants
- A network of EITM students, alumni, and faculty that will provide constructive engagement long after the institute concludes
- To be eligible to participate in the EITM Summer Institute, you must be currently enrolled in a graduate program in Political Science or a related field.
- In addition, applicants should have well-defined research interests and preferably at least a completed dissertation prospectus.
- Though the Institute will cover some background instruction in applied statistics, computational modeling, and formal theory it is not a substitute for sustained training in these areas. Therefore, applicants should already have completed substantial coursework in at least one of these areas prior to attendance.
- They are particularly interested in receiving applications from members of groups that have been historically underrepresented in math and science and/or underrepresented in previous EITM Summer Institutes
- They are also interested in receiving applications from individuals who are studying or working at institutions where coursework in statistical inference and formal modeling is not regularly offered. For students not currently residing in the United States, please note that your attendance in the program, if accepted, will be conditional on receiving a J-1 Visa for entry into the U.S. as a student.
There are no fees associated with participating in the institute. If accepted, all program fees and living expenses will be covered by EITM.