2023 Dalai Lama Fellowship Program for Young Leaders Worldwide (Fully Funded)
Deadline: December 1, 2022.
Dalai Lama Fellows program are seeking 15 young social innovators from around the world for the 2023 Dalai Lama Fellows program.
During the fellowship year, each Fellow works on a compassion-in-action project in a community with which they have strong relationships. These projects allow Fellows to apply the concepts and practices they’re learning through the program to their social innovation work, thus distributing their personal growth to far wider networks in the ecosystems with which they are engaged.
Compassion-in-action projects engage with one or more of the following categories:
- Health and Well-Being
- Education and Youth Development
- Social Justice
- Environmental Sustainability
- Cultural Understanding
In order to fulfill the minimum requirements, through the application a candidate must demonstrate:
- Age requirements: 20-35 years old as of July 1, 2023
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Current engagement with or well-articulated plans for a social change project and sustained engagement with the project throughout the fellowship year (NOTE: due to the difficulty of launching a social innovation project from scratch, they give preference to applicants who have ongoing projects, but each year we have selected Fellows who have a concrete vision for a project and plans to launch during the fellowship year, given they have the adequate expertise, resources, and community connections at the time of applying)
- In-depth knowledge of the community and the issue that the project is seeking to address, preferably with at least one year of previous experience working with the community
- Interest in learning and engaging in contemplative practices throughout the year
- Commitment to participating in all dimensions of the program (online learning platform, 1-on-1 coaching calls, group learning calls, etc.)
- They estimate full participation in the fellowship requires about 12 hours per month, not including Fellows’ work on their projects
- Attendance at the Contemplative Leadership Assembly in late July 2023 (DLF will cover all costs for travel, lodging, and meals for the Assembly).
- 1-on-1 Coaching and Mentoring: Fellows receive personalized 1-on-1 coaching and mentoring to support their ongoing development. DLF coaches have a wealth of expertise and experience working at the intersection of contemplation and social innovation, and each coaching call is a space where Fellows receive care, guidance, and the opportunity to find answers to their most pressing questions within themselves.
- Community Learning: Throughout the year, Fellows engage in small-group and full-cohort learning experiences. In addition to receiving further guidance from coaches during community learning experiences, Fellows also learn from each other’s experiences and wisdom.
- Contemplative Leadership Assembly: Fellows attend this annual week-long event, where they have the opportunity to learn contemplative practices and new perspectives on leadership and social innovation. The Assembly invites each Fellow to show up fully as themselves, bringing their rich personal and cultural gifts to a space that harnesses each individual’s uniqueness as part of an affirming and dynamic learning environment. DLF covers all costs for attending the Assembly such as visa fees, travel, and lodging.
- A Lifelong Commitment: DLF is not only a one-year experience. Upon completion of the program, Fellows become LifeLong Fellows and continue their personal and professional journeys in community with other program alumni. DLF continues to support LifeLong Fellows through networking connections, small group coaching, thematic webinars, contemplative retreat experiences, and so much more. LifeLong Fellows also have opportunities to contribute back to the community in a number of ways.
The application for Dalai Lama Fellows consists of five main parts:
- Applicant background and overview
- Short essay questions
- Video submission
- Letter of recommendation
- October 19, 2022: Application opens
- December 1, 2022: Application deadline (applications and all accompanying materials must be submitted by 22:00 Coordinated Universal Time)
- February-March 2022: Fellows are selected and notified
- March-June, 2022: Virtual onboarding of new Fellows
- Late July/Early August 2022: 5-day Contemplative Leadership Assembly in United States
- July 2023-June 2024: Formal fellowship year (online curriculum, coaching calls, group learning calls, project implementation in local communities)
- July 2024 and beyond: Fellows complete program and enter LifeLong Fellows global leadership and learning community