2023 Auwal Scool-Economic Research Institute (ASRI) Future Leaders programme for South Africans
Deadline: November 6, 2022.
The ASRI Future Leaders program, is an intensive, full-time, graduate training programme, that develops young university graduates for careers in the Civil Society and Government sectors, and therefore recruits individuals who are socially and politically active in their communities. The program seeks to recruit young people who aspire, in different spheres, to create change in South Africa. In developing these young people, we enhance their social and human capital in a way that not only accelerates their personal growth but which also translates into increased opportunities in the future.
The Program Structure is as follows:
- The fellowship program is 4-months and fellows are required to be in attendance Monday to Thursday from 9am – 3:45pm, at our offices in Parktown, Johannesburg, from the beginning of February to the end of May.
- Upon completion of the 4-month program, there is an optional 3-month work experience placement (externship) at an organisation in-line with your aspirations and interests, with a further option of a 3 month externship extension for exceptional individuals.
- Core Tenets: The mission of the program is the building of a social justice mind-set, with a particular focus on bettering the socio-economic conditions of people in South Africa. Emphasis is also placed on integrity, respect and tolerance.
- Community & leadership experience: Individuals should be active in their community, have some form of leadership experience and show potential for being a change agent in South Africa in the future.
- Academic: Students must have at least an undergraduate degree or diploma (or equivalent qualifications), with additional qualifications being an advantage
- Attendance requirement: To be eligible for the program, you must be able to be in attendance (at our premises) from Monday-Thursday from 9am-3:45pm, from February-July
- Age limit: 30
- Citizenship: South African citizenship or permission to reside in South Africa (with the long term view of staying in the country)
- Alumni requirements: Upon completion of the program, participants are expected to remain active within the Alumni Network of ASRI. ASRI will provide mentorship and support to our fellows throughout their careers.
The investment made during the program is approximately R90 000 per graduate (for the full programme including the externship) – which includes the cost of materials, stipends, program and operational costs.
The program will accept 30 individuals for 2023, and each person will receive a monthly stipend of R3 500 + a data simcard with approximately 20GB to 30GB of data per month while on the programme. There is no financial cost to the participants for being on the program. This is not a job or employment. Being a training programme, the stipend is a monthly allowance meant to cover the costs of travel to and from the training venue and monthly subsistence.