2022 UNOOSA/SGAC Space4Youth Essay Competition
Deadline: November 24, 2022.
The United Nations Office for Outer Space Affairs (UNOOSA), in collaboration with the Space Generation Advisory Council (SGAC), launched the 2022 edition of the Space4Youth Essay Competition! Water scarcity is a major global challenge. Young people play a key role. UNOOSA and SGAC want to give a voice to and promote youth’s ideas on the use of space for water resources management and aquatic ecosystem preservation.
Participants will submit an essay on the theme “Space as a tool to accelerate change in sustainable water resources management, hydrology and the protection of aquatic ecosystems” but can choose their own topic within that theme. Participants will focus on how space can be used to tackle water challenges by underlining concrete, realistic and original examples of how space science, technology and its applications can inform and, or support the delivery of actions and commitments for water management problems and adaptation of policies at local, national, regional and, or international levels.
- Application open to individuals, no team submission allowed.
- Open to all students and young professionals from any member states of the United Nations.
- Participants must be aged 18 to 35 years inclusive (up to the day of their 36th birthday)
- The U.S. will support this year’s Space4Youth competition by providing the authors of the best 3 essays with a trip to the United States to meet with representatives of the U.S. space sector and attend an Adult Space Camp at the U.S. Space & Rocket Center in Huntsville, Alabama*.
- The 3 best essays will be uploaded on the “Space for Youth” webpage and the “Space4Water Portal” of UNOOSA.
- The authors of the best 3 essays may be invited to attend other international events.
* Confirmation and satisfaction of U.S. visa approval will be required. The trip dates are not confirmed yet. Expenses will be covered by the U.S. Mission to the International Organizations in Vienna.
To apply, please read the guidelines and rules in the call for abstracts and essays. Submissions for the abstract must be received by 24th November 2022. Successful candidates will be communicated by 14th December 2022 and must submit their essays by 15th January 2023.