2022 UN Foundation Dr. Thomas Lovejoy Memorial Press Fellowship (Fully Funded to Brazil)
Deadline: August 5, 2022.
The United Nations Foundation today announced a press fellowship that will bring a group of journalists to the heart of the Amazon to explore issues of biodiversity, deforestation, and sustainable development. The trip will take place the week of October 17, 2022 against the backdrop of a national election to determine Brazil’s next president, just three weeks ahead of COP27, and two months before the Biodiversity COP in December.
The Fellowship is named after the late Dr. Thomas Lovejoy, the renowned ecologist and Senior Fellow for the UN Foundation who first popularized the term “biodiversity.” Ten journalists will travel to Manaus, Brazil before spending three days at the remote research station in the Amazon, known as Camp 41, where they will have the opportunity to take guided tours of the world’s largest rainforest.
- This press fellowship is intended for journalists interested in covering climate change, sustainable development, biological science, and environmental issues, including biodiversity, deforestation, agriculture, nature-based climate solutions, and land use.
- Journalists from all countries are welcome to apply, though applicants must be over 18 years old and have at least three years of professional work experience to be considered.
- Participating journalists will be expected to publish between two to four stories on the topics covered within six months of the fellowship’s conclusion.
- Participants’ roundtrip airfare, visa fees, accommodations, and local travel in Brazil will be covered, along with most meals.
- Other expenses incurred during the trip may be eligible for reimbursement.
- Funding for this press fellowship was made possible by a grant from the McGovern Foundation.
The application deadline is 11:59PM EST on Friday, August 5, 2022. Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview. For more information, please contact Megan Rabbitt (email@example.com) or MJ Altman (firstname.lastname@example.org).