2022 Tahrir Institute for Middle East Policy Editorial Manager Recruitment
Deadline: Rolling Basis
The Tahrir Institute for Middle East Policy has an immediate opening for an Editorial Manager who will play a key role in cultivating a platform for voices from, in, and on the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region to inform and shape the policy discourse.
The Editorial Manager is responsible for managing TIMEP’s editorial department, which includes planning the editorial agenda for the institute, liaising with external contributors and fellows, and coordinating the publication process for all TIMEP external and internal publications, reports, and other outputs. The Editorial Manager provides feedback, copy edits, and final review of written copy before publication and dissemination.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Sets TIMEP’s editorial strategy and agenda in line with the Institute’s mission and objectives
- Provides feedback on and edits TIMEP’s external and internal outputs for style, syntax, and content
- Copy-edits TIMEP external and internal publications and documents
- Coordinates publication process for TIMEP’s editorial outputs
- Prepares a timeline of editorial output production and manages progress to abide by planned agenda
- Assumes responsibility of timely editorial production of planned reports and articles per the agenda
- Solicits pieces for publication to meet the objectives set by the editorial agenda
- Expands TIMEP’s network of contributors and ensures balance and diversity of coverage of topics and responsiveness to crucial events within TIMEP’s focus
- Works closely with TIMEP’s fellows to support their research and programming agendas and to brainstorm, draft, and publish output in support of their mandates
- Works closely with external contributors to provide edits and feedback on outputs
- Coordinates and manages relationships with external translators and editors
- Bachelor’s degree and 5-8 years related experience in writing and proofreading; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Master’s degree preferred
- Experience providing high-level and substantive feedback on written content
- Experience adhering to and making copy edits using an established style guide
- Ability to write articles, reports, briefs, and other professional documents
- Professional proficiency in the Arabic language and ability to spot-edit in Arabic is preferred
- Knowledge of the MENA region
- Experience with Google applications and MS Office (Word, Excel)
- Experience with WordPress preferred
- Experience designing workflows and procedures preferred
- Ability to handle competing priorities and multi-task with multiple articles by various authors in different stages of review
- Ability to identify and resolve problems in a timely manner; gather and analyze information skillfully; work well in group problem solving situations; and navigate sensitive and emotional topics
- Must be flexible and willing to work on reasonable turnaround times
- Must possess attention to detail and achieve thoroughness and accuracy when accomplishing tasks
- Candidates must be available to work within or close to TIMEP’s office hours (9:00 am EST to 5:30 pm EST). The ideal candidate will be based in the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area or available to work in TIMEP’s Washington, D.C. office upon its safe reopening.
- Salary will be commensurate with experience.
To apply, please submit the following to [email protected] with “Editorial Manager” in the subject line:
- Current resume / CV
- Cover letter indicating:
- When you are available to begin
- Where you are located and whether you’re able to work during TIMEP’s office hours (9:00 am EST to 5:30 pm EST)
- Salary requirements
- Where you learned of this position
Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Applicants are strongly encouraged to apply early, as we are prepared to make an offer and fill this position as soon as possible.