2022 Radio Art Residency Fellowship Programme for Artists from Non-German Speaking Countries
Deadline: January 31, 2022.
The Radio Art Residency is an international fellowship programme for artistic practice on the radio. The residency is a joint project by the Goethe-Institut and Experimental Radio at Bauhaus-Universität Weimar in cooperation with the University of Music FRANZ LISZT Weimar, Deutschlandfunk Kultur, EIGENHEIM Weimar/Berlin, ACC Galerie Weimar and Radio Lotte.
The aim of the fellowship is to promote independent and open-ended artistic work and to support the realisation of new artworks. The programme encourages artists from various disciplines to deal with the narrative, technical and artistic potentials of the radio medium, and specifically promotes exploration of radio as an instrument of communication and possibly even the questioning of what can be constituted as language by the radio. From the use of the radio as an exhibition space for artworks to real-time medium, the residency offers a wide range of creative options for artistic practice.
- The programme is for artists working in the field of acoustic and time-based arts (radio, performance and sound artists).
- Applications are open to artists from non-German speaking countries without residence in Germany.
- Although experience in radio production is not necessarily required, an interest in engaging with the medium and using the radio for your own work is expected.
- IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Radio Art Residency would like to foster artistic practices on radio. Therefore, applications with a focus on mainly journalism, entertainment (such as talk shows, features or podcasts) cannot be considered.
- Financing of arrival and departure expenses
- Provision of accommodation in Weimar for 3 months
- A monthly fellowship of 2,300 euros (includes material and production costs as well as costs for local transport and travelling)
- A broadcast in the Klangkunst (radio/sound art) programme of Deutschlandfunk Kultur (national public broadcaster)
- Curatorial supervision and technical support by Experimental Radio at Bauhaus-Universität Weimar. Provision of airtime by bauhaus.fm (via Radio Lotte)
- Work and present for a month in the exhibition space of EIGENHEIM Weimar
- A workshop with students from Bauhaus-Universität Weimar
- An artist talk at ACC Galerie Weimar
- An artist talk as part of the radio talks series of Experimental Radio and concerts in the Studio for Electro-Acoustic Music (SeaM)
- Networking with relevant artists and institutions via the network of Experimental Radio and the Goethe-Institut.
- If possible, a German language course at a Goethe-Institut in the country of residence