2022 OWSD Early Career Fellowship for PhD Women in STEM
Deadline: September 19, 2022.
The OWSD Early Career Fellowship is a prestigious award of up to USD 50,000 offered to women who have completed their PhDs in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) subjects and are employed at an academic or scientific research institute in one of the listed Science and Technology Lagging Countries (STLCs). The OWSD Early Career fellows are supported to establish environments at their institutions where they can maintain an international standard of research and attract scholars from all over the world to collaborate.
To be eligible to apply for the OWSD Early Career Fellowship applicants must meet the following criteria:
1. Eligible countries
- Applicants must have been resident in one of the listed Science and Technology Lagging Countries (STLCs) for at least 5 years. The 5 years do not have to be consecutive.
- Applicants can be citizens of any country, provided that the above residence requirement is fulfilled.
2. Eligible employment
- At the time of application, applicants must provide proof of being employed at the university or research institute where the research project will be carried out. If employment has not yet commenced, a proof of employment offer and confirmation of acceptance is required.
- The institution where the research project will be carried out must be in one of the listed STLCs.
- Applicants must provide evidence that they will receive a salary from their university/research institute for the duration of the three-year fellowship.
- Agricultural Sciences
- Astronomy, Space and Earth Sciences
- Biological Systems and Organisms
- Chemical Sciences
- Computing and Information Technology
- Engineering Sciences
- Mathematical Sciences
- Medical and Health Sciences
- Structural, Cell and Molecular Biology
Research project proposals from other fields (social science, education, etc.) are not eligible and will not be taken into consideration.
PhD in one of the above listed study fields.
- PhD awarded not more than 10 years prior to application.
The OWSD Early Career Fellowship is for three years and provides up to USD 50,000.
Applicants must submit:
- A scanned copy of the passport page containing personal details (photo, document number etc).
- Passport-size portrait photo
2. Proof of residence
- Official documentation that proves residency for at least 5 years in one of the eligible STLCs. As long as the address and the name of the applicant appear clearly, the following documents can be submitted as proof of residence: certificate of residency, statement from the local police office or municipality, population registry office, rental agreement, utilities bills, employment contract. This list is not exhaustive and alternative documents can be considered.
- If you are submitting any supporting documents in your local language, you must attach at least an informal translation into English. Documents without any English translation will not be considered.
3. PhD certificate
- A scanned copy of the PhD certificate or proof of PhD issued by the University.
4. Proof of employment
- A letter from the employer (dean, vice-dean or equivalent head of the applicant’s institution) on headed paper confirming applicant’s position at the institution and that the applicant will receive a salary for at least three years starting from the year of application.
- If employment has not been undertaken yet, a proof of employment offer and confirmation of acceptance will be requested from the applicant.
5. Curriculum Vitae
- Complete updated CV.
- Complete list of publications.
7. Reference letters
- Applicants must submit two (2) reference letters; at least one must be from a senior scientist familiar with the applicant’s recent research.
- The letters must include the referee’s contact details for follow up from Selection Committee.
- The supporting statement of the head of the applicant’s institution completed and signed by the dean, vice-dean or equivalent head of institution. The supporting statement can be downloaded here.
9. Budget file
- Applicants must upload a standardised budget file in Excel format inserting all items and related costs requested in order to undertake the research project. The file will be available for download from the online application system.
10. Additional documentation
- The applicant may wish to provide additional documents which provide evidence of skills, qualities or actions described in the research project (e.g. certificate of awards, memberships etc).
All documents must be uploaded through the online application system. Do not email any documentation to OWSD.