2022 Ocean Fellowship Program (Venice)
Deadline: December 23, 2021
In collaboration with The Sámi Pavilion at the 59th Venice Biennale in 2022, the Office for Contemporary Art Norway, aabaakwad, and Artis, the Ocean Fellowship 2022 gathers participants to consider our kinship and duties of care toward the Ocean and its relations in multi-species communities and with diverse lifeforms. What are our responsibilities toward the Ocean? How can thinking from the Ocean build radically inclusive environments? Indigenous perspectives are brought to the center of our work to define resurgent values, forms, and stories and intertwining knowledges of the past, present, and futures of the Ocean we are all in relation with and dependent upon.
The Ocean Fellowship facilitates connections across the diverse localities, knowledges, and oceanic routes of its fellows and mentors, who will spend time together in Venice exploring opportunities to learn through oceanic Indigenous methodologies that will also reach a wider audience through the Academy’s ecosystem: Ocean Space in Venice, Ocean-Archive.org, and OCEAN / UNI.
- The 2022 program is looking for four fellows who identify as Indigenous and/or who align themselves with Indigenous issues.
- Artists, activists, scientists, and practitioners from all fields are encouraged to apply for the fellowship.
- Applicants should engage critically with oceanic subjects.
- The Ocean Fellowship program will offer a total allowance of 4,500 EUR per fellow for the full duration of the program.
- In addition to covering the travel to and from Venice and accommodation in Venice for three months (subject to one return ticket and modest accommodation in accordance with the travel policy). The allowance may be subject to tax, status will be determined on a case-by-case basis.
- They will support each successful applicant individually in the process of securing additional support as well as clearing visas and medical insurance.
Supporting documents required:
- Personal statement: You can submit this expression of motivation in any medium or format you wish (text, image, sound…) as long as it is a single file with a maximum size of 100 MB
- References to your previous experiences and projects relevant to the fellowship program. [A single file with a maximum size of 100 MB.]
- Names and contact details of two references familiar with your research.