2022 Novo Nordisk Foundation Ascending Investigator grants for research within Industrial Biotechnology and Environmental Biotechnology
Deadline: January 11, 2022.
The Novo Nordisk Foundation wishes to make significant contributions to the sustainability of society and the environment. The Ascending Investigator grant supports the continued development and consolidation of excellent research leaders within industrial biotechnology and environmental biotechnology in the Nordic countries.
The proposed research should address major challenges within industrial biotechnology or environmental biotechnology. There should be a clear and strategic outlook to improve sustainability and provide high-impact solutions at a large scale.
The proposed research must involve a clear element of biotechnology*, and the research projects should preferably include one or more of the following topics:
- Use or engineering of biological/biotechnological tools, systems or microorganisms for synthesis and production of valuable products (e.g. energy, fuels, chemicals, proteins, and materials)
- Development of technologies and processes for bioproduction
- Improvement of the efficiency and/or sustainability of biomanufacturing
- Use or engineering of biological/biotechnological tools, systems, or microorganisms to protect or improve the environment
- Understanding, protection, or manipulation of natural or industrial ecosystems in relation to application of biotechnology
- Data science to advance research within industrial or environmental biotechnology, including related ecosystems research
Faculty members and researchers at the associate professor level or with similar qualifications (e.g. senior assistant professor or senior researcher) with an independent research program at a university or other non-profit research institution in Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway or Sweden are eligible to apply for the Ascending Investigator grant.
Grants can support research activities for a total budget of up to DKK 10 million over a 5-year grant period.
Grant funding is available for:
- Salary for the applicant
- Salary for employees
- PhD tuition fee
- Operating expenses
- Bench fee
- Conferences participation
- Publication costs
- Direct administrative expenses
Applications must be completed and submitted using the online system following the instructions in the “Information and guidelines for applicants”. Additional essential information regarding eligibility, funding and the application process is found in this pdf.