2022 Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at the University of Cape Town for Masters Research for Africans
Deadline: April 30, 2022.
The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program provides scholarships to academically talented young Africans to pursue undergraduate and postgraduate studies at the University of Cape Town (UCT).
Students enrolled on the programme receive support and developmental opportunities including mentoring, leadership development, academic and life skills support, career development and entrepreneurship training. They are expected to engage in community upliftment projects and get involved in all that UCT has to offer.
In 2022 27 scholarship opportunities – Masters by Research only are available for students who intend to commence with their first year of registration for full- time postgraduate Masters by Research studies.
To be eligible for consideration for The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at the University of Cape
Town, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be a citizen of an African country
- Be admitted to a postgraduate Masters programme (Research only) and preparing to commence
with their first year of registration in the Engineering and the Built Environment, Commerce,
Health Sciences, Humanities, Law, or Sciences faculties at UCT.
- Be from an economically disadvantaged background, demonstrate financial need, and leadership
- Applicants who intend to register for a second Masters postgraduate degree at the same level are
ineligible to apply for this scholarship.
- Applicants who have previously registered for Masters postgraduate degree at any higher
learning institution are ineligible to apply for this scholarship.
The scholarships will cover for the following:
- Reimbursement of costs incurred for visa application processing.
- An economy class air ticket to Cape Town South Africa for awardees who are i) citizens and/or
residents of an African country other than South Africa or ii) residing in South Africa but outside of
- Full tuition fees and international student fees.
- Accommodation in a student residence managed by the UCT Student Housing Admissions and
Advocacy Services at UCT.
- Meals through the student housing system at UCT.
- Medical cover with a recommended medical aid service provider.
- A living stipend; to be used to cover ad hoc expenses pertaining to awardees’ studies.
- A book allowance to purchase the prescribed textbooks required for the degree programme.
- Costs related to community activities as prescribed by The Mastercard Foundation Scholars
Program at the University of Cape Town
• Access to an internship opportunity, career development and job placement assistance
• An economy class air ticket home upon completion of studies, for awardees who are i) citizens of
and/or residents of an African country other than South Africa or ii) residing in South Africa but
outside of Cape Town.
Step 1: Academic application: In preparing an academic application to UCT, it is essential that applicants refer to various resources for guidance. UCT’s postgraduate prospectus provides information on courses at UCT, how to apply to the university, as well as support structures available for postgraduate students at the university.
Step 2: Collate the necessary supporting documents to strengthen your academic application: Applicants are encouraged to refer to the relevant postgraduate faculty handbook for more information and should ensure that when submitting these documents online, each document is scanned and uploaded as a single document. Documents must be legible and clear.
Step 3: Apply online for academic study and placement: Apply online for academic study and placement at UCT.
Step 1: Visit the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at the University of Cape Town website: To apply for a Mastercard Foundation scholarship at the University of Cape Town, applicants will need to visit The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at The University of Cape Town website. On the home page, click the ‘APPLY’ button image which will direct the applicant to The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at The University of Cape Town online scholarship application form.
Alternatively, request information on how to apply for a Mastercard Foundation scholarship from The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program: Recruitment and Peer Mentor Officer at [email protected] (telephone number 0027 21 650 5923 / 3601).
Step 2: Create a profile on the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program site: Only applicants who have applied for a Mastercard Foundation scholarship using the scholarship application website will be considered.
Step 3: Complete the eligibility quiz: To access the postgraduate application form for a Mastercard Foundation scholarship, applicants will need to complete the eligibility quiz of The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at the online scholarship application website available at this link.
Step 4: Complete the Mastercard Foundation Masters Scholarship application form: Complete the scholarship application form, in full, online. Download the AFFIDAVIT section of the form which must be completed in full by the applicant, and witnessed by a COMMISSIONER OF OATHS and by one further witness.
Step 5: Upload certified copies of identity document, passport or refugee papers, proof of address, current and previous post-secondary transcripts as well as proof for complete/current degree, curriculum vitae, essay, declaration and signatures and affidavit declaration.
Step 6: Idenitfy two recommenders: Insert the details of two (2) academics, who have taught or supervised the applicant during secondary and/or tertiary level of study, to support the scholarship application.