2022 Mandela Rhodes Scholarship for Young Africans to Study in South Africa (Fully Funded)
Deadline: April 21, 2022.
The Mandela Rhodes Scholarship is a life-changing leadership journey. The scholarship combines financial support with a leadership programme that will challenge you, grow you, and connect you to young African changemakers – just like you.
The programme is built on their founding principles of reconciliation, education, entrepreneurship, and leadership, and a belief that leadership begins with inner transformation. They aim to keep Nelson Mandela’s legacy alive by equipping young African leaders with the competence and courage to transform the continent into a place where everyone has equal opportunity to thrive. Their programme is delivered primarily through a series of week-long residential workshops which you will attend during your time in residence.
- Open to applicants between the ages of 19 and 29 years.
- Applicants who are citizen of any African country.
- Have a first degree with above average academic results (70% or upper second) are eligible to apply for the scholarship.
- They look for young Africans who have demonstrated the potential to embody our founding principles of reconciliation, education, entrepreneurship, and leadership.
- You must have already assumed leadership and made an impact on your campus or community.
- To benefit from their programme you must be curious about doing the personal, internal work of leadership. This means a commitment to developing self-awareness by engaging with difficult parts of yourself, an openness to learning from the diversity and differences in your cohort, and a willingness to explore and embrace complexity within yourself, others, and the systems around you.
- Tuition and registration fees as set by your university or institution
- A study materials allowance as set by the MRF
- Accommodation and meal allowances as set by the MRF
- A medical aid allowance as set by the MRF
- A personal allowance as set by the MRF
- Research and conferencing grants can be made available on request
- Economy-class flights for international scholars from their home countries to their institutions at the start and end of their studies
- You must apply online.
- You can log onto our applications platform to access your application and upload your documents and essays.
- The three people who write your recommendation letters must also log onto the platform to upload their letters directly. You must give them plenty of time to write their letters, sign onto the platform, and upload them.
- Your application cannot be submitted without the letters and will not be considered.
- March: Applications open on Tuesday, 22 March 2022. Candidates can add recommenders on the platform and begin uploading their documentation and working on their personal essays. See ‘requirements’.
- April: Applications close by the end of Thursday, 21 April 2022. No late or incomplete applications will be accepted under any circumstances.
- June: You will be notified by the end of June whether or not you are through to Round Two.
- July: You will be notified by the end of July whether or not you are through to Round Three.
- August: You will be notified by the end of August if you are invited for an interview in the Final Round, or if you have been unsuccessful.
- October: Interviews will be conducted in South Africa in October. If you are in the final round and you are based outside South Africa, you will be flown in for an in-person interview with our selection committee. You will be notified by the end of October if you are selected as a Mandela Rhodes Scholar.
- October-December: Selected Mandela Rhodes Scholars must do their best to secure acceptance at their university of choice, and their study visa for travel to South Africa in January.