2022 Livingston Awards for Journalists
Deadline: February 1, 2022.
The Livingston Awards, a program honoring journalists under the age of 35, recognizes that every young journalist succeeds with the guidance and support of an experienced journalist. The Richard M. Clurman Award honors these on-the-job mentors who stand out for nurturing, critiquing and inspiring young journalists. Through their commitment, these individuals make a vital contribution to fostering excellence in journalism. The Clurman Award stands alongside the Livingston Awards in bolstering the work of young journalists and developing the next generation of reporters and newsroom leaders. Named for Richard M. Clurman, an editor at Time from 1948 to 1972 and architect of the Livingston Awards program, the Clurman Award is presented each June at the annual Livingston Awards ceremony.
- Entrants must be 34 years of age or younger as of December 31, 2021.
- Multiple bylines are eligible, but all must meet the age criteria.
- One entry per individual is accepted. One entry can be a single piece or a maximum of three pieces either from a published series, an original piece and its follow-up developments or three pieces clearly tied together in a beat. All pieces of the series must be published by the same organization.
- There is no limit to the number of entries that a media organization can submit, provided that they enter only one entry per reporter.
- Individuals may apply on their own, or be entered by their organization.
- Print, online, video, audio and data visualization work is eligible. Still photography is not eligible.
- The work must appear in U.S. controlled media. Entrants are not required to be U.S. citizens.
- Entries must be directly related to current events or include new information about old events. Features and commentary are eligible.
- Submissions must consist of materials prepared in the ordinary course of the journalist’s professional production. Materials prepared by journalists specifically for submission to the Livingston Awards do not qualify.
- Student media are not eligible.
- Competition is limited to work published or appearing during the calendar year ending December 31, 2021.
- Winners will participate in an outreach event arranged by the Livingston Awards.
Prizes of $10,000 will be presented in three categories: local, national and international reporting.