2022 Leading Africa Scholarship to Attend One Young World Summit in Tokyo
Deadline: December 1, 2021.
The Leading Africa Scholarship is an initiative designed to ensure that outstanding young people from Africa are represented at the One Young World Summit 2022 in Tokyo.
Africa is host to the largest population of young people in the world, with over 60% of its population under the age of 25. With 72% of its labour force in “vulnerable” employment and several countries experiencing challenges of governance and violent extremism, the Fourth Industrial Revolution could provide a lifeline to this young, eager population. Given their sheer numbers, they have the ability to transform their regions, whether it be in governance, energy, infrastructure, medicine and beyond.
In the midst of these challenges and opportunities, it is young leaders who are devising meaningful strategies to build a more sustainable region. Are you one of those leaders? If so, One Young World is looking to bring you to the next annual Summit.
You are eligible for sponsorship if you:
- Are between the ages of 18 – 30*
- Have an evidenced commitment to delivering positive change
- Demonstrate capacity for leadership
- Are addressing key local and/or global issues in your work
- Have a track record of generating impactful and innovative ideas
- Are a national (passport holding citizen) of one of the countries listed below: Algeria , Angola, Benin, Botswana Burkina Faso , Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Verde , Central African Republic , Chad, Comoros, Congo, The Democratic Republic of the , Congo, The Republic of the , Cote d’Ivoire , Djibouti , Egypt, Equatorial Guinea , Eritrea , Ethiopia , eSwatini, Kingdom o , Gabon, Gambia, The, Ghana, Guinea , Kenya, Guinea-Bissau , Lesotho , Liberia, Libya, State of , Madagascar , Malawi, Mali, Mauritania , Mauritius , Morocco, Mozambique , Namibia , Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe , Senegal, Seychelles , Sierra Leone , Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan , Sudan, Tanzania, United Republic of , Togo, Tunisia , Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe
- *Most delegates are between the age of 18 and 30. The One Young World team will consider applications from those who are older than 30, pending demonstration of appropriate personal impact, initiative, and willingness to engage. We are not able to accept applications from those who will be aged under 18 at the time of the Summit.
- Access to the One Young World Summit 2022 in Tokyo, Japan.
- Hotel accommodation between 15 and 19 May 2022.
- Catering which includes breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- Transport between the Summit accommodation and the Summit venue.
- Summit handouts and support materials.
- The cost of travel to and from Tokyo. Your flight to and from Tokyo must depart from and return to one and the same international airport.
Please note that if you are ultimately selected for a Scholarship and require a visa to enter Japan to attend the One Young World Summit 2022, you will be required to pay the visa fee yourself. The visa costs 22 GBP plus the applicable service charge of your local visa application centre. The costs of the visa and the applicable service charge as well as any further costs associated with the visa application (including travel to and from the visa application centre) fall on you as the participant.