2022 Ian Parry Scholarship for Young Photographers Worldwide
Deadline: July 15, 2022.
Ian Parry was a photojournalist who died while on assignment for The Sunday Times during the Romanian revolution in 1989. He was just 24 years of age. Aidan Sullivan, then picture editor, and Ian’s friends and family created the Ian Parry Scholarship in order to build something positive from such a tragic death. Each year we hold an international photographic competition.
The Ian Parry Scholarship is divided into two categories: The Tom Stoddart Award for Excellence and The Canon Award for Potential.
The entry criteria for both is the same and the judges will make their decisions based on the individual merits of the entries.
- Open to young photographers who are either attending a full-time photographic course.
- Applicants who are under 24 years old.
- Open to applicants worldwide
- Each winner will receive $3,500 towards their chosen project.
- Canon continues to support the Scholarship and loans equipment to the winners.
- Attend a portfolio review day with leading industry experts in London (covid permitting).
- Mentorship Programme, we offer a year-long personal Mentorship to the winner of The Canon Award for Potential.
- Both winners will have the opportunity to take part in the Transmissions Programme at Visa Pour L’Image in Perpignan.
- World Press Photo, automatically accepts the winner of the Achievement Award into its final list of nominees for the Joop Swart Masterclass in Amsterdam.
Candidates applying for the Scholarship should ensure that their application contains the following information:
- Your name, date of birth, permanent address, personal email address, personal telephone number, and if applicable, college, the course title, and course tutor.
- A portfolio of 12 photographs, either a photo essay or individual photos.
- A project description giving us details of the portfolio you have uploaded for this application and 12 extended captions.
- A clear project proposal explaining what project you would they would undertake if you received the scholarship.
- Extended captions for each image as a word document.
- Please follow the instructions on their submit form carefully.