2022 Henry Fund Fellowships to Harvard and Yale Universities
Deadline: January 14, 2022.
The Henry Fund provides Fellowships for students of British and Irish Universities to attend Harvard or Yale Universities for a year as a Special or Visiting Student and for students of Harvard and Yale to attend Oxford or Cambridge Universities for one year. Under Lady Julia’s Will, the Fund is administered by 12 Trustees, three appointed by each of these universities: Harvard University, Yale University, University of Oxford, University of Cambridge.
The Henry Fellowship is open to students of all nationalities and provides them with the opportunity to attend the Universities of Harvard or Yale as a Special or Visiting Student for the purpose of postgraduate study.
The main criteria for candidates for the Fellowships: Candidates must be:
- a full-time student at a *British or Irish University who has completed at least two years of full time undergraduate study by 1 January 2022
- a student in the first year of postgraduate study where not more than year has passed from the time of taking their first degree at the *qualifying University
- Candidates must be able to provide evidence of a very high and sustained standard of academic achievement. The Trustees also attach importance to other attainments and personal qualities relevant to the Founder’s intentions and so candidates should be able to show their wider involvement within the social, cultural and community life of their university. They should also be able to provide examples of their leadership skills.
- Candidates should state their reasons for wishing to study in the United States, their plans for the future and also demonstrate how they believe they can make a positive contribution to their community.
- In essence, the Trustees will consider not only the Fellow’s mental ability but also their potential for full involvement in the intellectual, social and communal life of the host American university and how they intend to make their mark on public life.
The Henry Fellowships consist of:
• An assured place, as a Special or Visiting Student
• A maintenance grant – 2021-2022: $34,000 – payable in two instalments (1 September and 1 January)
• Tuition fees for the course of study approved by the Trustees (billed directly to the Fund by Harvard/Yale)
• Student health insurance (billed with the tuition fees as above)
• A grant towards the cost of travel – 2021-2022: £2,500 – paid in GBP to the Fellow before they leave for the US (for transatlantic travel and travel within the US).
Candidates should apply in the following way
- Read the Notes for Candidiates document in full (link below).
- Complete the online application form located below and submit. Ensure all relevant documents are attached. Once submitted the Student Funding team will confirm receipt and email a copy of the completed form back to you for your records and to share with your referees.
- Email the following to [email protected] – Declaration of character form
- Share the Notes for Referees’ and your application with your referees. We will also need to receive their references directly by email by the 14 January deadline.
Further details are available from the respective US Universities:
- Harvard – https://uraf.harvard.edu/fellowships-international-students
- Yale – https://funding.yale.edu/fellowships/uk-fellowships.