2022 CJID Kwame Karikari Fact-checking and Research Fellowship
Deadline: November 16, 2022.
The Centre for Journalism Innovation and Development (CJID), through its fact-checking project DUBAWA, is accepting applications for the 2022/2023 Kwame Karikari Fact-checking and Research Fellowship.
The fellowship is inspired by the urgent need to expand the reach of verified and accurate information to grassroots communities, which are targeted constituencies for political, social and cultural misinformation and disinformation.
- Applicants must be affiliated with a media organisation, especially from grassroots communities (television, online media, radio, and print).
- Applicants must be able to publish their work with a media institution. Freelance journalists should not apply.
- Applicants must be willing to dedicate time to activities, events and meetings that will arise in the course of the fellowship.
- Applicants from Nigeria must be prepared to work with the DUBAWA team during the 2023 general election.
- Applicants must be residents in the following countries: Nigeria, Ghana, Sierra Leone, Liberia or The Gambia.
- Applicants must possess good writing skills and be fluent in the English language.
- If selected, applicants must provide a managerial buy-in from the newsroom management that authorises the applicant to undergo this fellowship and provide an assurance that fact-checks will be widely circulated or published on their media platforms without interference.
Female journalists are encouraged to apply. Knowledge and experience in fact-checking are not required.
- Support: Fellows will receive hands-on technical training based on current realities and trends in the fact-checking world. This will be followed by one-on-one project mentorship by the fact-checking team from DUBAWA. Fellows will also receive additional support to establish fact-checking desks in their newsrooms.
- Publishing: Fellows will be expected to publish their projects or reports in their media institution and will also receive support to publish on DUBAWA’s platforms.
- Promotion: Fellows will be expected to promote fact-checking on all social media, radio or TV platforms as necessary monthly.