2022 Ashden Awards for Climate Innovators
Deadline: March 15, 2022.
The Ashden Awards accelerate climate innovation, helping businesses, charities, governments and others power up their impact in the UK and low-income nations. They back organisations that advance social justice while lowering emissions.
Businesses, NGOs, government organisations, and social enterprises (both for-profit and not-for-profit, including community groups) are all eligible.
To be shortlisted and win an award, all applicants must satisfy these eligibility criteria:
- The work submitted for an award must be currently available to customers, clients or beneficiaries.
- The applicant must show an innovative approach in their work. Many award winners use established technologies, but there must be innovative aspects to the work as a whole. These could include innovative approaches to marketing and distribution; improved financing mechanisms, a new way of sharing training and skills; introducing a technology to a country or region; or employing an innovative business model.
- The applicant’s work must have the potential to create significant impact. This might be achieved by their growth as an organisation, or the replication of their innovation in new communities, regions or countries. Applicants must be willing to work with Ashden and others to achieve this goal. ‘Significant’ impact could be a large reduction in emissions, a mitigation action that addresses a serious threat to people’s wellbeing, or a transformation in people’s quality of life – particularly the most marginalised.
- The applicant must show good governance and management. We are looking for efficient use of funds and a strong plan to generate further income, whether from sales, grants or any other source. Organisations can be for profit or not-for-profit. Winners must have sustainability embedded in their values and practices.
- Winning an Ashden Award brings a prize of up to £25,000 as well as ongoing development support, from professional mentoring to pro-bono legal help.
- They put winners in front of funders, investors, policymakers, journalists and others who know the unique value of an Ashden Award and the strength of our rigorous assessment process.
- They’ll create a promotional film about your work and tell your story in mainstream and specialist media, and through our growing digital channels. They’ve helped previous winners gain coverage at Sky News, The Telegraph, Times of India, Al Jazeera, New Scientist and other leading platforms.
- As an award winner, your views, needs and insights will be at the heart of our influential reports, toolkits and events – which shape the views of key climate decision makers.
- All winners join the Ashden network – giving them the chance to connect with new partners through masterclasses, investor pitching events and introductions to influential policy makers.
- Apply in English using our online application portal here. The application portal includes the option gives you the option to answer some of the questions by recording a video message rather than filling in a form.
- To apply in French, Spanish or Portuguese, email [email protected] and ask for a form in the relevant language.