2022 African Union Call for Volunteer Board Members: The Africa Youth Advisory Board on Disaster Risk Reduction (AYAB/DRR)
Deadline: September 4, 2022.
The Africa Youth Advisory Board (AYAB) for Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR), hereafter referred to as the board or AYAB, was established under the African Union Commission (AUC) to meaningfully engage young Africans (up to 35 years) in DRR processes on the continent.
The board is envisioned to be an inclusive, open, and transparent platform for African youth to provide advisory services in regional DRR policy design, implementation, review and follow up. The board’s vision is focused on five priority areas: (1) Understanding disaster risk, (2) strengthening disaster risk governance to manage disaster risk; (3) investing in disaster risk reduction for resilience; (4) enhancing disaster preparedness for effective response and to “Build Back Better” in recovery, rehabilitation and reconstruction and (5) Community development. In addition, the board is regionally represented (North, East, West, South and Central) in its vision of supporting the PoA implementation, review and follow up.
Members are encouraged to take up initiatives in engaging the heterogeneous group of young Africans on multiple platforms in achieving the board’s vision.
- Members must not be older than 35 years of age throughout the duration of their tenure 1
- The tenure of membership is two years and renewable once
- Selection is done every two years through an Expression of Interest/ Call led by the AUC
- The 15 positions on the board are as follows:
I. 2 representatives each from East, West, South, Central and North Africa
II. 1 thematic focal point for each of the four priorities of the SFDRR.
III. 1 representative for Community Based DRR
This Expression of Interest (EoI) or Call for new Board members is to solicit applications from eligible individual African youth professionals or youth-led/focused organisations interested in becoming members of the board.
A complete application package shall consist of uploading the following items to this application link by September 4th, 2022 (GMT+3).
(1) A CV detailing relevant qualifications and experience to the position (2 pages maximum, 12 size font Times New Roman, single spaced)
(2) A cover letter detailing your motivation to become part of the board (2 Pages max) – please express what position you are interested in applying for membership
(3) Proof of African Citizenship (e.g. Passport, Identification Document)
(4) Name and contact details of two referees who can attest to the qualifications and experience of the applicant.
For any clarifications, please send an email to [email protected]