2021 Thomson Foundation Young Journalist Award
Deadline: September 10, 2021.
Thomson Foundation are excited to announce the return of the prestigious Thomson Foundation Young Journalist Award where young journalists, their work and their voices are at the centre, and where journalism’s power to enact meaningful change is as present as ever.
The Young Journalist Award – in partnership with the UK Foreign Press Association – is Thomson Foundation’s annual journalism competition dedicated to finding and inspiring ambitious journalists from across the globe.
- Open to journalists aged 30 and under, from countries with a Gross National Income (GNI) per capita of less than $20,000, to send in their best stories.
- Judges of the award look for stories that are revelatory, prompt public debate and have led to, or have the potential to lead to, positive change in society.
- The portfolio of work submitted for the Young Journalist Award must be in the 12 months preceding the competition closing date, which is September 10th, 2021.
- Three finalists will be chosen by an independent judging panel selected by the UK Foreign Press Association (FPA) and an overall Young Journalist Award winner will be revealed on the night of the FPA Awards on Monday 29th November, 2021.
- All three finalists will be awarded £1,000 learning bursaries or funds to buy equipment.
- Applicants will still be required to submit a portfolio of three stories and these can be a mixture of investigative pieces and human-interest stories.
- However, they will be asking all entrants to ensure at least ONE of the three pieces submitted has an environmental focus