2021 Royal Society Newton International Fellowship
Deadline: June 16, 2021.
These fellowships are for non-UK scientists who are at an early stage of their research career and wish to conduct research in the UK. Research must be within the Royal Society’s remit of natural sciences, which includes but is not limited to biological research, chemistry, engineering, mathematics and physics.
To be eligible to apply you must:
- have a PhD, or will have a PhD by the time the funding starts
- have no more than 7 years of active full time postdoctoral experience at the time of application (discounting career breaks, but including teaching experience and/or time spent in industry)
- be working outside the UK
- not hold UK citizenship
- be competent in oral and written English
- have a clearly defined and mutually-beneficial research proposal agreed with a UK host scientist
The Newton International Fellowships provide funding for two years, covering:
- subsistence, at a fixed rate of £24,000 per annum
- research expenses
- relocation expenses
- contribution to visa costs for Newton International Fellow and their dependents (partner and children)
- contribution to overheads at UK Host Organisation
The Newton International Fellowship is a flexible award. It can be held on either a full-time or on a part-time basis (minimum 0.6FTE) for caring responsibilities. There is also provision for maternity, paternity, shared parental leave, adoptive or extended sick leave as well as financial support for childcare costs that arise from attending conferences.
Applications for the humanities and social sciences should be made to the British Academy.
If you are unsure about which academy to apply to, contact [email protected].
Applications for the natural and physical sciences should be submitted through the Royal Society’s grants management system Flexi-Grant®.
Your application will go through the process detailed on the Making a grant application page overseen by the Newton International Fellowships Physical Sciences and Biological Sciences Panels.