2021 Robert and Lisa Sainsbury Fellowships
Deadline: February 28, 2021.
The Robert and Lisa Sainsbury Fellowships, established in 2000 through generous funding from Lord Sainsbury of Turville, are designed to strengthen academic ties with Japanese studies programmes in Asia, Europe, Oceania and North America. The Fellowships provide recipients with an opportunity to work in a scholarly environment conducive to completing a publication project.
- The Institute is offering several Fellowships to scholars who have received a PhD in any area of Japanese culture.
- Preference will be given to applicants working in the fields of visual studies, including but not limited to history of art, cultural heritage, archaeology, architecture, film studies, and digital humanities.
- Preference will be given to Early Career Researchers, defined by the AHRC as “within eight years of the award of their PhD or equivalent professional training, or an individual who is within six years of their first academic appointment”
The one-year Fellowship will commence in September 2021 and carries a value of £24,000. For the six-month Fellowship, please state the preferred start date in your application. This may be subject to negotiation. The six-month Fellowship carries a value of £12,000. One-year Fellowships are preferred.
To submit an application for a Robert and Lisa Sainsbury Fellowship, please fill in the application form which we can send to you by email.
Once completed, the application form should be emailed to [email protected] In addition to the application form, please enclose:
- Curriculum Vitae (please include the date your PhD is expected to be conferred, if not already conferred) and
- Sample of writing (for example a published article, or a core chapter of the PhD)
All application documents must be in English.
In addition, two letters of reference should be sent by email or mail to arrive by the application deadline. If sent by mail, they should be signed and sealed and sent directly by the referee to the Sainsbury Institute, 64 The Close, Norwich, NR1 4DH, UK. If they are sent by email, they should be emailed directly by the referee to [email protected]