2021 Nigeria Health Watch Solutions Journalism Fellowship
Deadline: August 31, 2021.
Nigeria, like the rest of the world, is dealing with a lot of problems. However, beyond all these problems, there are efforts to respond to them. Solutions Journalism aims to tell these stories of how people are responding to different social problems. The aim is to empower others experiencing similar problems with information on how they are being addressed.
Solutions Journalism adopts a solutions-oriented approach to storytelling; telling rigorous, investigative, and compelling stories of responses to existing social problems. The insights from these stories can help scale up the responses or replicate them in other places.
As part of their Solutions Journalism Africa Initiative project supported by the Solutions Journalism Network, we work with Newsrooms and individuals to spread the practice of solutions journalism in Nigeria. They train them to understand why solutions journalism matters and support them to produce these stories.
- Someone affiliated with a media organisation or a freelancer
- Someone passionate about telling stories of efforts to respond to various social problems especially around health
- Someone who can tell compelling stories using multiple formats (In addition to writers, we want photojournalists, documentary photographers, podcasters, documentary video makers, graphic animators)
- Someone who is already familiar with the solutions journalism framework or interested to learn about it
- Someone willing and available to commit to the fellowship schedule (training, mentoring and periodic check-ins)
- Grant to produce any story of your choice (stories must be human interest and have health angles)
- Remote support from a mentor to produce your proposed stories
- Editorial freedom to work on your project using your preferred format (video, photography, audio, text, animation etc)
- Access to exclusive workshops + webinars to hone your solutions journalism and storytelling skills
- Access to a global network of solutions journalists and storytellers
- Opportunity to publish stories in media outlets outside Nigeria
- Priority in accepting and commissioning your pitches for publication on Nigeria Health Watch website after your fellowship is over
- Register to attend an information session where we will introduce solutions journalism (We recommend attending this session if you are not familiar with Solutions Journalism).
- After attending the info session, you can apply here before the deadline (5pm, August 31st, 2021).