2021 MIASA German- African Tandem Fellowship at the University of Ghana
Deadline: March 31, 2021.
The Maria Sibylla Merian Institute for Advanced Studies in Africa (MIASA) is broadly dedicated to research in the Humanities and Social Sciences, with ‘Sustainable Governance’ as its central, but by no means exclusive topic. Overarching aims of MIASA are working towards a reduction of global asymmetries in knowledge production and bridging the cultural divide between anglophone, francophone and lusophone Africa. MIASA, established in 2018, serves as a hub for exchange, networking and collaboration amongst leading researchers from Germany, Ghana, the African and European continents, and beyond. It is located on the beautiful campus of the University of Ghana in Legon (Accra).
- Eligible for application are early career researchers (up to 6 years after having been awarded their PhD) and senior researchers (more than 6 years after completion of their PhD) from Germany and Africa in a relevant discipline of the Humanities or the Social Sciences.
- Therefore, applicants for a junior fellowship must have been awarded their PhD between 1 April 2015 and 31 March 2021.
- Only applicants who completed their PhD on 31 March 2015 or earlier can apply for a senior fellowship. Relevant is the date on the official PhD certificate.
- The fellows’ salary costs will be met by MIASA for every full fellowship month on the principle of “no loss, no gain,” and paid directly to his/her home institution.
- External fellows, i.e. fellows from outside University of Ghana will, in addition, receive a monthly expense allowance of max. 675 €, which will be paid directly to them. The exact rates paid depend on the living situation of each fellow and will be negotiated individually.
- Non-affiliated fellows, i.e. fellows without current employment, will receive a monthly grant, which will be paid directly to them. Non-affiliated senior fellows (more than 6 years after completion of their PhD) receive a monthly grant of max. 2.000 € in total. Non-affiliated junior fellows (up to 6 years after having been awarded their PhD) will receive a monthly grant of max. 1.200 €. The exact rates paid depend on the living situation of each fellow and will be negotiated individually.
- For all external fellows, MIASA will provide accommodation and reimburse travel costs.
- To promote the joint research, a shared research cost contribution of max. 500€/fellow month can be granted upon application to the directorate, e.g. for conducting field research or organizing a small academic event, like a workshop.
- The Institute provides its fellows with modern office space and an up-to-date infrastructure. Fellows have full access to all library services at the University of Ghana and, electronically, at the University of Freiburg, Germany. Note: A full-time presence of fellows at MIASA for the fellowship period is expected. Periods of leave need to be negotiated with the MIASA directors prior to the signing of the fellowship agreements, and must not exceed 1/6 of the total fellowship period.
Applications can be submitted both in English and in French. The completed application form together with the required documents has to be uploaded on the application webpage (https://frias.wufoo.com/forms/kwrce91135uncd/)
OFFICIAL LINK: https://www.frias.uni-freiburg.de/en/news/call-for-applications/MIASA-Tandem-2022