2021 Investintech – CAJ Journalism Scholarship for Canadian and Journalism Students
Deadline: April 1, 2021
Investintech.com, Inc. is pleased to announce its annual scholarship contest to Canadian and journalism students. Students will win $1,000, a free one year membership with the CAJ and a free pass to the annual national CAJ conference.
The Investintech – CAJ Data Journalism Scholarship is open to students who show an interest in data journalism. Eligible students must meet the following requirements:
- Majoring in a journalism program, working towards either a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree.
- Currently accepted to or enrolled in a college or university in Canada.
- Pursuing a course of studies leading to an undergraduate or graduate degree in journalism.
- Non-journalism program students may apply, but will need to show evidence of their journalism skills and interest, such as having a published news story, or be working for a college publication, etc.
- $1,000.00 CAD
- Free one year membership with the CAJ
- One free pass to the annual CAJ national conference
Submitted work may be a published item, class assignment or even an item on a personal blog.
- Work must have been produced within one calendar year of the scholarship closing date.
- Individual work is preferred. If the submitted item is produced as part of a team of two or more, the applicant must submit their own proof of work.
- Previous winners are not eligible to apply.
The submission must include:
- An example of a work of journalism that shows the application of data skills (e.g. use of spreadsheets, web scraping, use of mapping tool).
- An explanation of what you did and how you did it, including the resources you used. For submissions that were part of a group project, applicants must explain their role, the skills they used in fulfilling that role, and the specific parts of the story, or stories, that their contribution influenced.
- An idea for a project you would like to work on, particularly if you had more data journalism skills. Include a link to a dataset that shows why the story is worth pursuing, and a link to a story you aspire to create or one that inspires you as a journalist.
- A letter of support from an instructor or editor.