2021 Institute for Basic Science (IBS) Young Scientist Fellowship
Deadline: June 30, 2021.
With the vision of “Making discoveries for humanity and society,” the Institute for Basic Science (IBS) was founded in 2011 by the Korean government to promote basic science in Korea. To date, IBS has 31 Research Centers and each Center has been yielding outstanding results in various research fields.
The IBS Young Scientist Fellowship started in 2016 to play an active role in fostering the next generation of basic science leaders. They believe this Fellowship offers junior scientists opportunities to conduct independent research by utilizing state-of-the-art infrastructure and to grow on the basis of research collaborations with leading researchers.
- Within seven years of obtaining a Ph.D. (obtained no earlier than 1 January 2014) or under the age of 40 with a Ph.D. (born no earlier than 1 January 1981)
※ Ph.D. candidates must be conferred with a Ph.D. degree no later than 31 August 2021.
- Current IBS researchers are eligible to apply, if they meet the above criteria.
- Annual fund of KRW 150–300 mil. per year (up to KRW 150 mil. for theoretical fields and up to KRW 300 mil. for experimental fields), including salary of KRW 60–70 mil.
- After physically relocated to one of the IBS Centers, YSFs will conduct independent research by utilizing research facilities and equipment of their Center. YSFs may orgnize a small research group.
※ YSFs should prioritize using the advanced research infrastructure of their Center in conducting research. Although they may construct research equipment and facilities within their budget, the construction scale and timing may be adjusted through review.
- Appointment for three years with a possible two-year extension depending on the performance review results
※ When current IBS researchers are selected as a YSF of their Center, support will be offered for up to three years.
Apply via the IBS website at http://www.ibs.re.kr/ysf/apply