2021 ECA Fellowship Programme for Young African Professionals
Deadline: April 14, 2021.
ECA is the regional arm of the United Nations in Africa.
As a foremost knowledge policy institution in Africa, ECA seeks to engage bright young Africans for skills and capacity development, training and mentorship through a fellowship programme within ECA’s work programme. This fellowship initiative is in line with the Commission’s effort
to assist member States develop their capacities in economic and social policy research, development, implementation, analysis, governance, and monitoring and evaluation.
The ECA is hereby inviting applications from qualified young African Professionals in the following thematic areas:
1. Macroeconomic policy, Economic Governance & Public Finance.
2. Private Sector Development & Finance, including Innovative Finance & Capital Markets.
3. Poverty, Inequality and social policy.
4. Gender equality and women empowerment.
5. Demographic Dynamics for Development.
6. Innovation and Technology.
7. Climate Change &Management of Natural Resources, including Green Economy.
8. Industrialization and Economic Diversification Policies.
9. Development Planning and Statistics.
10. Regional Integration; Infrastructure and Trade
11. Labor Economics and Employment
12. Communication and strategic planning, monitoring and evaluation
- The candidate applying for this fellowship programme must be 35 years of age or below, at the time of the application.
- The candidate must be a national of a member State of the Economic Commission for Africa.
- The candidate must have graduated before 1 March 2019 from either a master’s degree or doctorate degree programme, or equivalent.
- The candidate should have interest in one or more of the identified thematic areas.
- The selected candidate will work on a predefined project, designed to contribute to specific aspects of the work programme of the mentoring Division, Sub-Regional Office or ECA Centres, and contribute to other activities.
- The selected candidate should participate in national, regional or international meetings as assigned for exposure.
- The selected candidate should submit and present at a seminar a peer reviewed research paper at the end of the assignment.
- The selected candidate will be part of an alumni association of ECA Fellows and member of practicing international development “community of practice”.
The selected Fellows will receive a one-off settling-in grant of USD 3,000 and a monthly stipend of USD 3,000 each for the duration of the fellowship. Note that the final month stipend will only be paid upon submission of:
1. A peer-reviewed fellowship research paper.
2. A comprehensive fellowship report, an approved final performance evaluation of the fellow.
3. A completed fellowship programme evaluation form and
4. An exit boarding pass or immigration stamp showing that the fellow has departed the duty station and returned back to his/her home country, where both are not the same, at the end of the fellowship programme.
- Education: Advanced university degree (Master’s Degree or doctorate or their equivalents) in international affairs, development, diplomacy, economics, political and social sciences, development, peace and human security, public administration, law, minerals and natural resources, engineering, and related field is required.
- Experience: Academic research or academic work related to the focus thematic areas is required.
- Experience in research/analytical work in socio-economic and political development, natural resource management/law, regional integration, infrastructure development, governance, peace and related areas in the context of Africa, either in the academia, private, public or civil society organizations, is an advantage.
- Language: English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the fellowship advertised, fluency in either language is required and working knowledge of the other is desirable. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is an advantage.