2021 Centre for Human Rights Democracy and Civic Engagement Unit Internship Opportunity
Deadline: February 9, 2021.
The Democracy and Civic Engagement Unit at the Centre for Human Rights, University of Pretoria is designed to address human rights, politics and democratisation in Africa, merging a host of strategies in research, training and advocacy. Its mission is to develop strong and direct democracies in Africa that can amplify citizen voices in decision-making. Crucially, it aims to ‘Africanise’ the democratic process, advocating for political arrangement well-suited to address Africa’s peculiarities. The DCE Unit works extensively with the Pan-African Parliament (PAP), the chief legislative organ of the African Union. The DCE Unit ensures that civil society can engage with the PAP, contribute policies, and chart new direction for governance on the continent.
The Democracy and Civic Engagement Unit at the Centre for Human Rights, University of Pretoria, seeks to appoint an appropriately qualified individual for its internship programme based in Hatfield, Pretoria, South Africa.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Enthusiasm for the Centre’s mission and campaigns;
- Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills;
- Experience in working with diverse stakeholders;
- Highly motivated;
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks and consistently meet deadlines;
- Confidence and the ability to be proactive, think quickly, and work independently;
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and responsibility for areas of work.
- Knowledge and understanding of politics, public policy, democratic processes, transparency and similar issues,
- Studying towards a degree in Law, Politics Science, Public Policy and International Relations, preferably at the University of Pretoria,
- Strong written and oral communication skills in English.
- Knowledge and understanding of the African regional human rights system,
- Completed Master’s degree will be an advantage,
- Good leadership and interpersonal skills,
- Outstanding attention to detail and professional diligence,
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team,
- Additional language skills (French) and project work experience are a plus.
The internship is paid according to the set University of Pretoria rates for student work.
Please send your curriculum vitae (CV), academic record/transcripts, a motivation letter, and a writing sample of 2 to 5 pages to [email protected]