2021 African Union Kwame Nkrumah Awards for Scientific Excellence
Deadline: November 25, 2020.
The programme is implemented at national level for young researchers, regional level for women scientists and continental level open to all scientists. The Continental level is the highest level of the
programme. The objective is to give out science awards to top African scientists for their achievements and valuable discoveries and findings in science, technology and innovation. AUKNASE reflects and
underscores a success story and the critical role of science, technology and innovation in the development and integration of Africa. Under this programme prizes are awarded to top African scientists in each of
the following two sectors (a) Life and Earth Science and innovation; and (b) Basic Science, Technology and Innovation at the national, regional and continental levels.
- To be eligible for the African Union Kwame Nkrumah Awards for Scientific Excellence, nominees shall be African scientists who have made remarkable achievements,
- Demonstrated by number of publications, number of trained research graduate students, applicability of the scientific work to Africa’s challenges, and its patentability.
- The award is intended to recognize those who demonstrate excellence in research of relevance to the developmental needs of the continent.
- Only nationals of the African Union (AU) Member States are eligible to participate in these Awards
- Nominees shall be Africans residing in any of the AU Member States and can be nominated only for achievements based on work conducted in an African country
The African Union Kwame Nkrumah Awards for Scientific Excellence Programme (AUKNASE) shall be organized at three levels:
1.Continental Level where two awards of USD 100,000 are given each to African pioneer scientists
2.Regional Level where two African women scientists per each of the five geographical regions of Africa are given USD 20,000 each, and
3.National Level dedicated to young African researchers, where two prizes are given per country and the value of the prizes is determined by the African Union Commission.
The Application forms are available from:
1. AU Commission official website,
2. Ministries in Charge of Science and Technology, National Academies and Research Councils in Member States
3. The Regional Economic Communities
The Nomination Form with all the supporting documents should be posted via physical courier to the
following address (NOT by Fax or E-mail):
The Officer in Charge
AU Kwame Nkrumah Awards for Scientific Excellence 2020 Edition,
Department of Human Resources, Science and Technology
African Union Commission
P. O. Box 3243
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
NB: On the right back side of the envelope, please insert the following information:
[From: Full Name, Contact and E-Mail Addresses of the Applicant]
Specify which Level you are applying: Continental Award Or Regional Award