2020 Matsumae International Foundation Research Fellowship Program
Deadline: July 31, 2019.
Upon the concept of the founder of the Matsumae International Foundation (MIF), “Towards A Greater Understanding of Japan and a Lasting World Peace”, MIF has started the Research Fellowship Program in 1980.
The fellowship aims to open a path to peace and prosperity on the basis of mutual understanding by bringing together active young research workers of outstanding character to Japan. By deepening their understanding of Japan, and establishing links of trust and friendship, the Foundation seeks to make a real contribution to permanent peace throughout the world.
Applicants of non-Japanese nationality who meet all of the following eligibility requirements are invited to submit the required application documents:
- Applicants must obtain a Letter of Invitation from the host institutions in Japan
- Applicants must hold a PH.D. (Doctorate) degree, or be recognized by MIF as possessing equivalent academic qualifications
- Applicants must be at the age of 49 years old or younger at the time when documents are submitted
- Applicants must have sufficient abilities in the English or Japanese languages
- Applicants should not have past or current experiences of staying in Japan (Except for short-term stay. E.g. sightseeing, conferences)
- Applicants should be in employment in their home countries, and must return to their countries upon completion of their MIF fellowship tenure
- Applicants are free to select host institutions (university research laboratories, national research institutions or the corresponding facilities of private industry)
The following financial supports are provided to the successful applicants:
- Allowance for research and stay
- Air Transportation
- Start-up Fund upon arrival
Download and print out the Application Form in PDF-format or MS Word file from the apply link. All of the following documents should be in A4 size and must be type-written and be submitted all together in one package by postal mail. The documents are not to be bound into a book.
- Application form
- The research project
- A reprint of the most significant publication by the applicant
- Personal history (Curriculum Vitae)
- A letter of recommendation by the applicant’s employer, printed out on the home institution’s letter head
- Certified copies for all the academic certificates/diplomas (for Ph.D., MA/MS/MD, BA/BS) issued by the relevant institutions
- A letter of invitation signed by the professor/scholar-in-charge at the host institution, printed out on the host institution’s letter head
Please send the documents to the following mailing address:
- The Matsumae International Foundation
4-4-46, Kamiogi, Suginami-ku, Tokyo, 167-0043 JAPAN
Application must be submitted from the applicant’s home country. Those applications submitted electronically or via facsimile will be unacceptable.