2020 International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis Science Communication Fellowship
Deadline: January 11, 2020.
The International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA) is currently accepting applications for its summer 2020 Science Communication Fellowship. The fellowship starts on 25 May and ends on 31 August. The fellowship covers the cost of travel to and from Vienna and the awardee’s home country at the beginning and end of the fellowship, as well as a modest stipend to offset living expenses during the period of the fellowship.
- A Bachelor’s or equivalent degree in science or journalism, and/or current student or graduate of a science journalism program.
- Applicants from all countries are welcome, but IIASA gives preference to those from countries where IIASA has a National Member Organization (NMO).
- Experience in writing about science for the general public via blogs, newspapers, university web sites, or other outlets.
- Written and oral fluency in English and proven ability to understand complex scientific research.
- Experience with or interest in social media, video, photography, or other multimedia.
1. The stipend is 4,000 EUR for the three months.
2. The science communication fellow will gain experience in communicating complex systems science for a general audience through a variety of platforms including blogs, website content, video, and articles for our magazine,Options.
3. The successful candidate will work in the IIASA Communications Department, assisting with a variety of tasks including web publishing, media relations, event coverage, multimedia, social media, and other communication activities.
5. The fellow will also work closely with participants in the IIASA Young Scientists Summer Program (YSSP), and IIASA scientists producing several pieces of work covering their research.
To apply, please email the following documents to Ms. Alia Harrison, Recruitment Coordinator, Human Resources Department, International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cover Letter
- One writing sample of no more than 800 words about a scientific topic and aimed at a general audience (e.g., article for a newspaper or magazine, blog post, or op-ed)
- A letter of recommendation