2020 American University in Cairo Press Naguib Mahfouz Medal for Literature
Deadline: March 1, 2020.
Since 1996 the AUC Press has presented the annual Naguib Mahfouz Medal for Literature, a major award in support of contemporary Arabic literature in translation.
The award, consisting of a silver medal and a cash prize, as well as translation and publication throughout the English-speaking world, is presented annually on 11 December, the birthday of Nobel laureate Naguib Mahfouz, by the President of the American University in Cairo in the presence of the Minister of Culture and many other prominent leaders of Egypt’s cultural life.
- The award is open to contemporary novels, written and published in Arabic. Novellas, short stories collections, or poetry collections are not eligible.
- Only novels published in the last two years, between 1 March 2018 and 1 March 2020, are eligible.
- Self-published novels are not eligible.
- Submissions may be made by the author or the publisher.
- A publisher must have been publishing books for a minimum of three years to be eligible to submit a novel for the award.
- The author must be living at the time of submission.
- By submitting a novel, the author or publisher (depending on who holds the English language rights) are considered to have agreed that, in the event of their novel winning, it will be translated into English and published worldwide by the AUC Press.
- By submitting a novel, the author is considered to have agreed to be available for promotional activities such as media appearances related to the award and/or necessary travel within the Arab world.
The Naguib Mahfouz Medal for Literature consists of a silver medal, a cash prize worth 5,000 US Dollars, and publication worldwide in English translation by the AUC Press.
- Six copies of the published book must be sent to the below address, to arrive no later than 1 March 2020:
The Naguib Mahfouz Medal for Literature
ATTN: Ms. Katherine McMahon
The American University in Cairo Press
AUC Tahrir Campus
113 Kasr El Aini Street
P.O. Box 2511, Cairo 11511
- The application form and a recent photograph of the author must also be submitted. These can be sent as hard copy with the physical copies of the books, or by email to: email@example.com.
- Digital copies of books will not accepted.