2019 USC Spiritual Exemplars Project – International Religion Reporting for Journalist
Deadline: March 10, 2019.
The USC Center for Religion and Civic Culture seeks applications from journalists to join a team that will profile 100 “Spiritual Exemplars” around the world over the course of the next two and half years. The profiles are part of an academic project studying extraordinary people whose spirituality inspires them do good in the world. A team of about a dozen English-speaking journalists, based in any part of the world, will publish in-depth articles, videos and audio stories about such figures with outside media organization and on CRCC’s project home page.
1. Journalists who work in print, online, audio and video may apply to complete one or more “spiritual exemplar” profiles.
2. Journalists may be freelancers or on staff, as long as they have the support of their supervisor/editorial staff to devote time to this project.
3. While young journalists are encouraged to apply, professional publishing experience is required.
4. Journalists should have a proven ability to report complex stories and take useable photographs.
5. Applicants must demonstrate a strong interest in religion reporting, but previous experience is not required. International reporting experience is a plus, but not required.
6. Journalists may be based anywhere in the world, but must be fluent in English (the application and final products must be submitted in English).
CRCC will pay a $5,000 stipend for each profile and cover reasonable travel and reporting expenses.
Before you start the application, please be prepared with the following materials:
- A short bio (150-200 words)
- 3-5 examples of your work (uploaded or links)
- Letter of recommendation and/or support of editor (optional)
We recommend you compose answers to the following application questions before filling out the online application (no more than 500 words each).
- Why are you interested in the Spiritual Exemplars Project?
- Describe your experience (if any) reporting on religion and/or spirituality. Please note if you have specialized knowledge or training.
- Describe your experience (if any) with international reporting. Do you have experience or skills for reporting in a particular part of the world, and are there locations where you particularly want to go? Please note if you feel comfortable reporting in a language other than English.
- What is one challenge you have encountered in the reporting process and how did you overcome it?
- Pitch the story of a “Spiritual Exemplar” you would like to profile through this project. Include ideas about how you might like to tell their story (video, written piece, etc.). (Please note that CRCC already has a database with more than 100 exemplars. We may select you as a journalist without using your pitch, or we may already have your idea in our database.)