2019 UNRISD Call for Papers for the 2019 Social Policy in Africa Conference
Deadline: August 30, 2019.
The organizers of the 2019 Social Policy in Africa Conference invite abstracts and papers on the theme of the conference, “Governance of Africa’s Social Policy: Subverting Development and Democracy?”.
Papers and the conference will address a wide range of issues in the sphere of inclusive development in Africa—from the different national and regional modes of governance of the African social policy space, to the drivers of policy preferences and the dynamics of social policy making, to the nature of politics and the public sphere necessary for economic transformation, human flourishing, and new forms of social compact in 21st century Africa.
Abstracts and papers are invited in the following thematic areas.
1. Governance of Africa’s social policy
2. Democracy and the governance of Africa’s social policy
3. Social policy making in Africa: Actors, agency, and policy space
4. Poverty and inequality in Africa.
5. Redressing health inequalities: Ensuring access to quality health care
6. Pension systems reform and income security in old age
7. Critical perspectives on social protection
8. Non-formal social provisioning: African experiences
9. Land and agrarian reform: Social policy perspectives
The organizers also welcome papers in the broad areas of social policy not directly concerned with the theme of the 2019 conference.
A very limited number of travel support grants will be available for accepted paper presenters, but the organizers cannot guarantee that authors of accepted papers will receive full sponsorship for the conference.