2019 UN World Food Programme Consultant – Software Engineer, Food Security Monitoring Systems Recruitment
Deadline: June 3, 2019.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
WFP’s Vulnerability Assessment and Mapping (VAM) is a global network of over 150 food security analysts that are present in 70 Country Offices and 6 Regional Bureaus. As a service, it aims to provide the best possible analyses on food security to effectively reach the people in need. It collects and analyses household food security, economic and geospatial data to determine the impact of shocks and also for regular food security monitoring as part of early warning and preparedness.
The consultant will join mVAM’s team in Rome and under the direct supervision of the mVAM lead and be responsible for the following activities:
- Assist in data integration initiatives and particularly support the automation of mVAM activities, including near real-time data ingestion, processing, dashboards, bulletins and visualizations.
- Deploy and maintain open-source software products.
- Advise on software development practices.
- Lead the harmonization of tools and development patterns, form version control to deployment strategy.
- Contribute to developing guidance and training materials for tools in the humanitarian open source community.
- Undertake field missions for country support and facilitate trainings targeting WFP staff and partners.
- Liaise with VAM’s Information Officer and WFP’s IT department to ensure compliance on the above.
- Perform any other task as required.
1. Education: Bachelor’s degree in engineering, computer science, physics, mathematics or similar. Master’s degree preferred.
2. Experience: At least 4 years of experience in IT related field
3. Knowledge & Skills:
- Experience with Python and proficient with at least one other high-level programming language.
- Experience designing and maintaining databases (SQL required, noSQL a plus).
- Experience with version control (git or svn).
- Experience with cloud services, AWS preferred.
- Experience making dashboards (e.g. Tableau) is desired.
- Experience with deployment strategies, Docker, continuous integration, Unit Testing.
- Experience in GIS (QGIS, GDAL, PostGIS) is an asset.
- Experience visualizing geo-data (Leaflet, Mapbox, GEE) and is an asset.
- Exposure to survey data or with remote sensing data is an asset.
- Experience working with the humanitarian sector or in a social science field is an asset.
4. Languages: Excellent spoken and written English; spoken and written French highly desired.