2019 TWAS Research Grants Programme in Basic Sciences (Groups)
Deadline: April 22, 2019.
The TWAS Research Grants Programme in Basic Sciences was established in response to the needs of researchers in developing countries, particularly those attached to institutions that lack appropriate research facilities. Under this scheme, grants can be awarded for research projects in Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics and Physics either to individual young researchers or to research units in the science-and-technology-lagging countries (S&TLC) identified by TWAS, to enable them to purchase the research facilities they need to enhance their productivity.
- Applying research units must be led by a renowned researcher who is a national of a developing country, who holds a PhD and who has good research experience. The research unit should operate within a university or a research institution in one of the S&TLCs and should include a minimum of the Principle Investigator (group leader), plus at least two PhD-qualified researchers and a number of PhD and MSc students, technicians, etc. There is no age limit for unit leaders.
- Applicant must at the time of application NOT have an active research grant with TWAS or OWSD Early Career Women Scientists (ECWS) Fellowship.
- Each applicant must have at least one MSc student under his/her supervision.
- Applications from women scientists and those working in Least Developed Countries are especially encouraged.
- You must submit a strong Research Proposal, you may find further information on how to wrtire a strong proposal by visiting AuthorAID.
- Research unit leaders who submit a satisfactory final report on a previous grant may apply for a renewal.
- Please be advised that applicants may apply for only one programme per calendar year in the TWAS and OWSD portfolio. Applicants will not be eligible to visit another institution in that year under the TWAS Visiting Professor programmes. One exception: The head of an institution who invites an external scholar to share his/her expertise under the TWAS Visiting Professor programmes may still apply for another programme.
- If selected, a trilateral written agreement is drawn up between TWAS, the leader of the research unit and the home institution. The institution undertakes to administer the grant according to the agreement and to provide laboratory space, salaries and other facilities necessary for the project. Equipment, consumables and literature provided for the project through the TWAS Research Grants Programme remain the property of the home institution after the project is completed.
- In general, the grant funds are kept at TWAS for the purchase of items requested by the grant holder. TWAS places the orders with the supplier(s) upon receipt of proforma invoices submitted by the grant holder in accordance with the approved itemized budget.
- The agreement will also provide details on how to activate other benefits of the grant such as support for travel for young scientists to attend international scientific meetings, and support for publishing in Open Access journals.
- Grant holders must submit a final report within one year from the date of the last purchase.
- TWAS Research Grant applications can now be submitted online by clicking on the “Apply Now” link at the bottom of this page.
- Please note that a researcher may only submit one application at a time and for only one kind of grant (as an individual applicant, as a research unit, COMSTECH or the OWSD Early Career Women Scientists (ECWS) Fellowship). Applicants cannot apply for other TWAS programmes i.e. Postdoctoral, Visiting Scholar and Visiting Researcher programme within the same year in order to be present in their home country throughout the duration of the grant.
- For any queries please contact Ms. P. Patel, e-mail: [email protected]