2019 Thomson Foundation/Mojofest mobile journalism competition
Deadline: April 12, 2019.
The Thomson Foundation mobile journalism competition is a leading showcase for mobile journalism (‘mojo’) talent. In partnership with Mojofest, the competition is now in its fifth year.
Every spring, applications are invited from those who have what it takes to become the next mojo star. Applicants are required to submit a feature story or news report filmed and edited entirely on a mobile device, which excites, intrigues and surprises and demonstrates impact and creativity.
In 2018, the competition attracted 143 entries from 49 countries, including Sierra Leone, Yemen, Kyrgyzstan, Ecuador, the Philippines and New Zealand. The growing number of entries each year from around the world demonstrates how the mobile phone has enabled a new generation of journalists.
- The competition is open to entrants aged 18 or over.
- The winner is responsible for ensuring they are able to accept the prize as set out and in accordance with these terms and conditions. In the event they are unable to do so, then Thomson Foundation reserves the right to select another winner.
- Only one entry per person. Entries on behalf of another person will not be accepted and joint submissions are not allowed.
- Thomson Foundation accepts no responsibility for entries that are delayed or incomplete or cannot be delivered or entered for any technical or other reason.
- The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into by the judges in relation to that decision. Thedecision of the judges over every instance relating to the judging process and selection shall be final and unchallengeable.
- The closing date of the competition is 11.59pm (UK time) on 12 April, 2019. Entries received outside this time period will not be considered.
- The prize is subject to a successful visa application and the Mojofest event going ahead, and is non-exchangeable, non-transferable and not redeemable for cash or other prizes.
- The winner may be required to take part in promotional activity related to the competition and shall participate in such activity on Thomson Foundation’s reasonable request. The winner will consent to the use by Thomson Foundation of the winner’s images, name and voice for publicity purposes (in any medium, including still photographs and videos, online, including the websites hosted by Thomson Foundation), and in marketing and promotional material.
- Entrants into the competitions shall be deemed to have accepted these terms and conditions.
Prize 1: The winner will receive return flights to Galway, Ireland, five-star accommodation and tickets to Mojofest from 6-8th June 2019, a festival dedicated to mobile journalism and headed up by one of the most respected mojo voices in the industry, Glen Mulcahy.
Prize 2: Five runners up will also receive free access to Glen’s advanced mobile journalism online course from our Journalism Nowprogramme.
1) Create a mobile journalism story, either a feature or TV-style news report with a run time of 2-5 minutes. The most important thing is that the story is shot and edited entirely on a mobile device (iOS, Android, Windows Phone, RIM Blackberry, etc) and that the video content is delivered in high definition.
2) The story must be produced by ONE individual and entries will be marked on the following:
- Journalism: Originality and credibility of the story, demonstrating original research, effort and use of interviews.
- Impact: Importance of the subject matter and the impact the story has achieved.
- Uniqueness to medium: Innovative and appropriate use of mobile-recording techniques.
- Storytelling: Clarity of the storytelling.
- Technical quality: Technical quality of the production.
3) Entries should ideally be in English, however, other languages with on screen subtitles are acceptable.