2019 RUFORUM MasterCard Foundation Undergraduate/Masters Scholarship
Deadline: March 31, 2019.
The Regional Universities Forum for Capacity Building in Agriculture (RUFORUM)
in partnership with MasterCard Foundation, Gulu University and Egerton University are implementing an eight year program aimed at transforming African agricultural universities and their graduates to better respond to developmental challenges through enhanced application of science, technology, business and innovation for rural agricultural transformation (http://www.ruforum.org/MCF).
This is an eight year program (2016-2024) which will be supporting students that are economically disadvantaged, those from post-conflict and conflict affected areas of Africa. Interested applicants will undertake their training at Gulu
University and Egerton University.
The RUFORUM Technical Committee (RTC) has identified the following priority
programs for the academic year 2019/2020 as eligible for application and to be
1. Bachelor of Science in Agri-Entrepreneurship and Communication Management
2. Bachelor of Science in Food and Agribusiness
3. Bachelor of Science in Biosystems Engineering
4. Bachelor of Science in Agriculture
5. Bachelor of Information and Communication Technology
6. Master of Science in Agri-Enterprises Development
7. Master of Science in Food Security and Community Nutrition
1. Bachelor of Agribusiness Management
2. Bachelor of Science in Community Development
3. Bachelor of Science in Natural Resources Management
4. Bachelor of Science in Animal Science and Technology
5. Master of Science in Agricultural Extension.
1. Be a national of Kenya and Uganda to benefit from the national respective
2. Be a citizen of any African country to benefit from the Africa region
3. Be from economically disadvantaged, marginalized communities, coming
from conflict and post conflict areas.
4. Be less than 25 years for undergraduate and less than 30 years for
Master’s studies at the time of application.
5. Should have completed secondary school and/or diploma for a Bachelor’s
degree application not more than two years from the time of this call. Continuing students are NOT eligible.
6. The applicant should meet admission criteria to eligible programs in the
University of choice (Egerton University or Gulu University).
7. For admission into Gulu University for an undergraduate degree programme one must have attained the High School Certificate (HSC) also known as Uganda Advanced Certificate of Education (UACEl) or its equivalent. For admission into Egerton University one must have completed the Kenya Secondary Education Certificate (KSCE) or its equivalent.
8. Demonstrate interest in agriculture, agribusiness and entrepreneurship
9. Demonstrate leadership qualities
10. Have commitment to working in agriculture and agricultural value chains
11. Have a strong commitment to community transformation
This is a full board comprehensive scholarship that covers: tuition fees, one return air ticket for African students from outside Uganda and Kenya, research costs, workshop and conference costs, living expenses including stipend and hostel, laptop, internship attachment, community engagement and field attachment, and entrepreneurship training. Consequently, considering the level of investment, successful applicants will be required to become high achievers, highly engaging and focused students/graduates and change makers in their communities and Africa is general.
Application forms (for admission and scholarship) must be submitted to the
respective university of choice:
Prof. Nancy W. Mungai
TAGDev Program Coordinator
TAGDev Program’s Office Located in New Physics Block
P.O Box 536-20115, Egerton
Tel: +254 711 68 9880 or +254 720 390 893
Academic Registrar, Gulu University
Awich Road, Laroo Division, Gulu municipality
P.O.Box 166 Gulu, Uganda
Tel: +256 782673491
For additional information about the scholarship at Gulu University Please
Assoc. Prof. Duncan Ongeng
Tel: +256 782673491