2019 Mastercard Foundation Scholarship at University of Cape Town (UCT)
Deadline: June 30, 2019.
The University of Cape Town (UCT) has partnered with the Mastercard Foundation in its global Scholars’ Program: an educational initiative that provides academically talented young people from economically disadvantaged communities in Africa with access to quality university education.
The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at UCT provides full-cost scholarships to young Africans who are first-time undergraduate or postgraduate (honours and master’s) degree-seeking applicants. The scholarships ensure a premium educational package that will produce graduates whose qualifications are internationally recognised and locally applicable, and whose transition into the workforce is underpinned by values of engaged citizenship and social justice.
These scholarships cover the full period of study and are renewable annually subject to satisfactory performance and participation in the activities and opportunities offered by the programme. Successful candidates will be required to commit themselves to returning to their home countries and to invest their gained skills and education in their country’s social and economic growth.
- Academically talented – value learning and are driven to complete their education.
- Economically disadvantaged – facing significant financial barriers to completing their education.
- Committed to giving back – investing in their communities, using the skills and knowledge that they have acquired.
- Future leaders – committed to embracing ethical leadership and making a positive change in their home communities.
- Visa application costs.
- Tavel costs to and from South Africa and including travel insurance.
- Full tuition and international student fees, including any application fees to UCT.
- Full accommodation and living expenses, including medical aid, books, stipends and transport.
- Residences provide accommodation for undergraduate men and women students who are usually under the age of 21. These residences provide students with up to three meals a day in a dining hall. In all instances awarded Scholars will be provided with the necessary financial means to afford food services.
- Research, development and academic travel costs as approved or recommended by UCT and The Mastercard Foundation (for postgraduate students only).
- Access to internship opportunities and ad hoc costs related to such participation.
- There are no application fees for applying to the Scholars Program at UCT.