2019 Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at University of Pretoria
Deadline: September 17, 2019.
The University of Pretoria (UP) in partnership with the Mastercard Foundation (MCF) is currently offering scholarships for high achieving African students interested in studying at postgraduate levels, commencing in January 2020.
The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program (MCFSP) targets academically talented yet economically disadvantaged young people in Africa who will contribute to the transformation of the continent through their knowledge, skills, attitudes and values evidenced by their leadership. Community service and internships are essential components of the Program. The MCFSP offers a full scholarship to selected students who have been provisionally admitted to study towards a postgraduate degree at UP. Graduates must return to their home countries on completion of their studies and give back to their communities.
Mastercard Foundation offers a full scholarship to students who have applied for and been admitted to one of the following programmes at the University of Pretoria:
Undergraduate Study Programmes
- Faculty of Natural and Agricultural Sciences
- Faculty of Economic and Management Sciences
- Faculty of Humanities for entry into the BPolSci (Political Studies or International Studies only)
Postgraduate Study Programmes
Honours and Masters degree applications will be accepted in the fields of Engineering (continuing students only), Natural and Agricultural Sciences and Economic and Management Sciences.
- In order to apply for the scholarship, you MUST have been admitted into a degree at UP. You will need your student number to complete the MCFSP application, which must be accompanied by your academic records and other supporting documents as outlined in the application form.
- Be sure to include documents that support what your family, guardian or foster
parents can afford to pay. Examples of such documentation include bank
statements, pay slips and loan documents.
- Only students admitted to full-time study at UP will be considered for the scholarship.
- Only prospective students who cannot afford to pay the full fees are eligible to apply. Do not apply for funding if you or your parents, guardian or foster parents can afford the full tuition fees.
- All the information provided must be accurate and true. Any falsification of
information on the application form may result in disqualification from consideration for a scholarship.
If your MCFSP application is successful the Program will cover the following:
- Full tuition fees
- Accommodation in a UP residence
- Books and printed material
- A modest monthly stipend
- Medical aid
- Travel costs (one return trip for the duration of the study period)
- Cost of one visa application for the duration of the study period.