2019 Initiatives of Change Caux Scholars Program (CSP) for Young Peace Leaders
Deadline: March 3, 2019.
The Caux Scholars Program (CSP) is part of an active alumni network of more than 1,000 people from 109 countries. The leaders represent diverse cultures, beliefs, languages, educational and religious backgrounds. CSP is a multi-discipline network of global leaders, influencers, activists, expert scholars, and practitioners who share their critical knowledge and experiences in addressing conflicts of many kinds in over 60 countries.
The Caux Scholars Program teaches students to identify and analyze conflicts, to understand the factors that create and sustain conflicts, and to use practical methods to diffuse conflicts through global disciplines in conflict prevention, negotiation, development studies, international relations, legislation and policy, and transitional justice.
- You must be a national citizen of a country that is affected by present-day civil or armed conflict. Please note that candidates with dual nationality or permanent residency in a western country do not qualify for the scholarship.
- Active engagement in creating peace and mitigating conflict is required.
- Demonstrated financial need is mandatory.
Due to the volume of applications received, it is best to apply early (2-4 weeks in advance of the deadline). Applications will be considered in the sequence that they arrive. In order to have a complete application for The Caux Scholars Program, we must receive the items listed below. Your application will not be considered for admission if it is incomplete.
When completing the online application, ensure that you fully answer all essay and financial questions listed. You must submit your current or most recent university transcripts.
- Letter of recommendation: Supply two (2) written references, including at least one academic reference. These written references may be mailed directly to us in a sealed envelope or sent via email.
- Application Fee: A non-refundable fee of $25 is required for a complete application to be considered for admission. This fee can be paid through PayPal.
To pay by check or money order: Make the check out to “CSP” and put your first and last name on the memo line.
Mail payment to the following address:
Initiatives of Change USA
2201 W Broad St #200, Richmond, VA 23220
In addition to the CSP application, please submit a one page essay on the following topic:
- How are you currently engaged in creating peace in your country?
- From your perspective, what are the qualities needed in peacemakers who seek to break the cycle of hatred and resentment and unite people across barriers that have historically divided them? (You may wish to refer to the IofC website, particularly the history and stories of individuals who have helped heal conflicts in their countries may generate ideas.
CSP offers one full (1) alumni scholarship per year. Through fundraising efforts, CSP offers partial and full merit-based and need-based scholarships that are given to scholars who have made important community contributions and who demonstrate leadership skills and a clear commitment to furthering the mission and values of CSP and Initiatives of Change in their chosen professional field(s).
For more information about The Caux Scholars Program in Switzerland, contact the Program Director, Jitka Hromek-Vaitla, at firstname.lastname@example.org.